• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Helms too...

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Helms too...

Post by DougSea »

Right after I posted my AC and Generator question I realized I should include a question about people's helm arrangements. My boat has a Northstar chartplotter (to be replaced) and an autopilot, along with a HUGE compass mounted on the flat portion of the helm above the instrument pannel and engine controls. It also has a VHF flush mounted just above the wheel and a depth sounder mounted below the thruster control. Nothing mounted from the overhead. I would love to see pictures of other people's setups! (I'll try and post a picture of mine latter tonight) And for those with radar/chartplotters mounted overhead, how is it mounted? One of the used boats I looked at had wooden blocks attached to the overhead to make up the curve and provide a flat mount point for the radar. I have no idea where they got the block or how it was attached to the overhead. Any info is appreciated.

Show off your stuff! Thanks!

Doug
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

My overhead console came with the boat. I removed the old JCR Radar and installed a Raymarine C-80 Along with a second GPS by Garmin 176C that I had on my previous boat. The " back up" GPS can be removed from the overhead with a single motion and the portable antenna installed. This can be taken over the side in the event of an emergency. I have a Simrad Auto Helm, which is the BEST piece of equipment on the boat but it's mounted down low by the bowthruster controls. The first pic. is current..the second is the orginal helm configuration when I bought the boat. The C-80 replaces the old JCR Radar, old GPS and old Sonar

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Good post! I'll take some pics this weekend.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Boy, I like the idea of the backup GPS. Good thinking!
jcollins
In Memorium

Afterglow's Helm

Post by jcollins »

Furuno radar (old) I don't know if I'll ever replace it. I don't use it that much. Garmin 210. That's on the replace list. Auto Helm speed and depth and a good compass. That's all I need.
Hey Mariner...notice the depth? 3.1 You would be cringing.

John
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

John,

You should use your radar. It's the best damn thing ever. You don't have to get all fancy with it and all, it's nice to use at night to verify and cross reference things on your GPS.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Afterglow's Helm

Post by Mariner »

jcollins wrote:Furuno radar (old) I don't know if I'll ever replace it. I don't use it that much. Garmin 210. That's on the replace list. Auto Helm speed and depth and a good compass. That's all I need.
Hey Mariner...notice the depth? 3.1 You would be cringing.

[img]http://www.albinowners.net/images/helm.jpg[/img

At 3.1', I'd be more than cringing. I draw 4'9", so, I think I'd be busy cleaning the bottom!
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Elizabeth Ann wrote:John,

You should use your radar. It's the best damn thing ever. You don't have to get all fancy with it and all, it's nice to use at night to verify and cross reference things on your GPS.
E.A.,
I do have it "on" at night. Most of the night cruising I do is in waters that I am very familiar with. That's not to say what may happen in the future when we begin to travel further. I was stuck in fog once this season while fishing and I must admit that it came in handy. I could see all the boats around me on the radar. But, couldn't physically see them. That was kinda spooky.

Mariner - The Chesapeake is about 200 miles long. Average depth is 21 feet. Boats like yours can go just about anywhere as long as they stay in the channels.
The average depth in my creek is 4-5 feet. The last 1/8 mile is 3 feet. On a low tide I can't get out...or back in.
John
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Thought I would share what I built for my 28 TE. Keeps over the bow in veiw and opens up the top of the window. I am realy happy with the Raymarine C 120 multifunction with depth, radar and auto pilot. I almost did not do the auto pilot but am real glad I did. Would have never guessed how much I use it. The nav box on port side works well also. Crew can still sit on it.

Terry
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Terry,

Welcome aboard!

That is sweet! I had considered 'building on' to my dash as well. Just never considered mahogany. Very nice. And I like the matching nav station to balance it out.

Does the c120 dim down enough at night to keep you from wreaking your night vision? That's been one of my concerns with a larger display.

One more thing to think about over the winter... Just add Andrew's fancy steering wheel and I'd be all set!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Thanks Doug,
Glad to be aboard

The C 120 has a day setting and a night setting and can be dimmed down to nothing. I have more problems with the compass. I need to install a switch on that to kill the light. Most times I have my Auto pilot on and I’m standing in the companion way in the center, with the boat doing the driving. I can see a lot better there. I cruise with screen split with the chart plotter and radar on. Many trips cruising right threw the night this way.

If any one wants to do something similar I would be more than glade to share what I learned building this one. I might be able to save you a little aggravation.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

You're a wiring wizard.....I'll pass on making that drastic of a change...but it sure is purdy.......
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”