• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28/30 Sling Points

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 28/30 Sling Points

Post by johnmurray »

My Albin 30FC came with sling points (sometimes called lift points) marked fore and aft just below the rub rail. These marks are to indicate where to place the slings when lifting the boat by a travelift or crane.
The forward sling point are about two inches ahead of the after end of the ports that are furthest forward on the boat. The after sling points are about at the after ends of the engine vents.
The problem is that when the boat is lifted using these marks, it is not balanced, but is down considerably by the stern. It appears that the aft marks should be at least another foot further back, closer to the stern of the boat.
I wonder if Albin put the sling marks on the 30s in the same place as on the 28s, thus not allowing for the extra two feet of length. I also wonder if there is any structural reason that would have a bearing on where the sling points should be, otherwise I would simply move them back to achieve a better balance when lifting.
Any thoughts?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

John,
I would hope that Albin wouldn't make a dumb mistake like that. But, anything is possible and a call to your dealer should clear that up.

I'm no expert but I thought the travel-lift operator could raise/lower the sling independently?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

When you say that it's unbalanced, do you mean that the boat appears to want to fall off the sling, or that it is unevenly lifted. If it's simply unevenly lifted, it could be due to the shape of the hull requiring a different length strap fore or aft. If it looks like it's truly about to fall off the sling, then there's a real problem and you should have a surveyor determine a better lift point and move the sling labels.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

What do you estimate the angle is? I reasoned these sling marks to provide support at the engine area on the 28. Maybe I'm wrong.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey guys,

Just re-read the original post and wondered about this:

"The problem is that when the boat is lifted using these marks, it is not balanced, but is down considerably by the stern"

When a travel lift operator lifts a boat they control the front and back slings independently. The lift points are based on balance and boat structure and would have nothing to do with a boat appearing to be on a tilt in the slings, that would be the travel lift operator. Having just watched my boat hauled a couple of times the operator seemed more concerned with the aft lift point due to the engine weight and he adjusted the forward point and sling height to keep the boat level.

Doug

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”