• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28/30 Holding Tanks

johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Albin 28/30 Holding Tanks

Post by johnmurray »

Hello All:
The holding tank in my Albin 30FC is advertised as having a capacity of 18 (US) gallons When I measured it however it appears to be about 11 inches high, 16 inches long and 13 inches wide. That works out to only about 11 gallons. No wonder it seems too small!
Since I boat in an area where overboard discharge is not only illegal, but strictly enforced, I was thinking of changing the tank out for a larger one. It looks as if there is adequate space in the existing location (after allowing for connections) for a tank several inches higher, at least six inches longer, and probably six inches wider. Such a tank would come out in the range of 6000 cubic inches or about 25 gallons.
Has anyone made such a change and if so, what problems were encountered?
Where is the best place to get a tank and what material is recommended?
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Lowe Key

VacuFlush Folks

Post by Lowe Key »

John,

Welcome to the Group.

I am in the process of looking at the 28TE or 31TE as my next boat. So I am a "newbie" to the Albin's. But I had a trawler and replaced the holding tank for a bigger one. So I will make a few comments...

If you can go larger, go as big as you can get... I was able to increase the tank 50% on the trawler. This was done in 1995 so there was not some of the new polyethylene resins out then. The tank was SS. Also look at the RV world. There is not a lot of cross over in marketing by the manufactures but they are faced with some of the problems. You may find a tank that would fit your space at RVworld.

I have not found the file with the resin tanks I considered so I can not give you any names. Vacuflush was on two of the boats I looked at and had rather small tanks. I have talked to Raitan (who I like for heads - the PHIIe) and they are doing some things now with holding systems. The tech's there may have some ideas.

If you consider a SS tank, put all your fittings where you can inspect them and get to them. KC Lord in Cambridge, MD, built my tank. A carboard mockup was made and the tank went in the floor hatches. SS may be out of the price range now but get a quoto to be sure. I added a garden hose fitting at the back of the tank with a ball value to flush the tank after pumping (keep it clean - cuts order and lengthen the metal life of the tank. The hose was left attached so it was easy to use. some marinas may have wondered just how big a tank was on the boat. If I could I liked to flush it about 3 times. I added an inspection port on the top and in that plate mounted an ABI tank gage (bellows) so I knew when the tank was almost full. There were two 6 inch angle l's as handles should the tank have to be lifted out too.

Also look at the new hoses out there. If your boat is older, replace the line from the head with the new oder resistant hose. It is great.

Hope this give you a start....
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

An 11 gallon tank? My goodness, that is small. I can't imagine that would do much good at all. Could it just be that since the boat is designed to be used in open water, they figured you wouldn't need much of a tank?

Here, we only use pumpouts when we find ourselves with a full tank while tied up in a marina with no plans to go anywhere. In this boat, with a holding tank that appears to be about 100 gallons, that hasn't happened yet.

I can't say that I'm sure we get a full 3 miles from shore before pumping out, but we do treat the contents and go to deep water where currents exchange the water regularly.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”