• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Is a 28' Tournament Express trailerable?

cahoots5

28TE on a trailer

Post by cahoots5 »

I have my boat on a trailer and it works great for me. Bella was shipped across the country from Bostion to CA. I pull her with a Dodge 3500 1 ton pickup 4x4, I have a wide load permit ( $125.00/ year in Ca. ) I can work on her in my side yard and save the slip cost, I have paid slip cost for the last 20 years, for all the sail boats along the road. I think its a good plane to concider, we are thinking that the boat will go to Canada this year for a cruise of Desalation sound. Yes its not as convenant as a slip at the yacht club, but the cost are much much less. My wife can work in her garden, I can play on the boat, we can sit next to the pool and have lunch and back to the fun for each of us, we can cruise with our yacht club frends, and be at the harbor in 1 hr., if you want more info on the trailer, I can send you photos and so on. Steve Jensen in Ca.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: 28TE on a trailer

Post by DougSea »

cahoots5 wrote:I have my boat on a trailer and it works great for me. Bella was shipped across the country from Bostion to CA. I pull her with a Dodge 3500 1 ton pickup 4x4, I have a wide load permit ( $125.00/ year in Ca. ) I can work on her in my side yard and save the slip cost, I have paid slip cost for the last 20 years, for all the sail boats along the road. I think its a good plane to concider, we are thinking that the boat will go to Canada this year for a cruise of Desalation sound. Yes its not as convenant as a slip at the yacht club, but the cost are much much less. My wife can work in her garden, I can play on the boat, we can sit next to the pool and have lunch and back to the fun for each of us, we can cruise with our yacht club frends, and be at the harbor in 1 hr., if you want more info on the trailer, I can send you photos and so on. Steve Jensen in Ca.
Hey Steve,

Even though I doubt I'll ever trailer my boat I'd still be interested in seeing some pictures of your setup and some of the trailer details. After all, you never know which way life will steer you.

What kind of mileage are you getting when towing Bella? And what's involved in launching a boat with the size, weight and draft of a 28TE?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
PnL

Post by PnL »

Steve - I'm interested in see the pictures as well as hearing about your experiences trailering the 28TE. Any issues with launching and retrieving?
cahoots5

Trailer yes you can

Post by cahoots5 »

Please have a look at the photos of my boat on its trailer. Bella have come accross from Boston to West coast on this trailer, Its rated at 18K and was built for this type of boat. I have a 1 ton Dodge 4x4 ( same truck towed it from Boston) I can get her off and on the trailer by myself. The wide load permit for Calif. was $126.00 per year with no restriction due to the 10' wide. If you have more Questions send me a post and I will provide better photos and Info
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

now that is a rig! you da man!
PnL

Post by PnL »

Holy Cow! That's incredible.

Thanks for the photo's - that just reminds me of how large the 28TE actually is compared to some other boats we are considering.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Wow. That's impressive. How does that Ram handle towing it up the Grapevine?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

PnL wrote:Holy Cow! That's incredible.

Thanks for the photo's - that just reminds me of how large the 28TE actually is compared to some other boats we are considering.
True. But it's all a matter of perspective. For a trailer-boat, it's big. But from my perspective, it's still a small boat.

Personally, I like the idea of a boat that is still just barely trailerable, but provides the most space and seaworthiness possible when in the water.
cahoots5

Trailering is fun

Post by cahoots5 »

My Dodge will move it fine on flat ground 55 all day long, I have not taken it over the grape vine yet?. It will be slow from the North to the South, I'm sure. I tray to find the lowest grade path when posable. Some other conciderations is the tower, I built a folding hinges that lets me fold it back, this allows about 12' 6" with this trailer ( I can Send Photo if some one needs them ) For me having the boat at home allows me the destress time I need after work , I can work on a project in the evenings and weekends. After 25 years of slip cost for now Im spending te money on toys. Yes this is more work than walking down the dock and stepping on to the boat, but the fact for me is 5 cruise times a year or so this works out better. I have a complete cover for Bella, to the boot stripe so she is coverd most of the time. She has all the toys, Heating, Windless, Autopilot, Watermaker, C-80 Navagation and lots more. And still she will move down the road. Question?? Thanks all Steve
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

Steve,

Do you think a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel could tow it OK? I've been thinking about it for a while. Those slip fees keep on going UP..

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

trailer cost..

Post by craw_daddy »

did you have the trailer built? Would you mind sharing what the cost was & the shop that built it? :lol:

Thanks, --D
cahoots5

Trailer

Post by cahoots5 »

I got the trailer through my shipper from the East Coast to the West. the cost was $7500.00. The Tralier was from Loadmaster Trailers Company, LTD. of Ohio, Phone # is 419-732-3434 the trailer is great, Give them a call, I think the will have the Trailer for your needs Thanks Steve
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

You got that trailer custom made for just $7,500?!?!??!? Amazing. I would have expected at least twice that.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”