• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Is a 28' Tournament Express trailerable?

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is a 28' Tournament Express trailerable?

Post by Mariner »

I was looking at one that is available for sale locally and thinking how great of a boat it would be for a young couple looking to cruise, fish, and crab in Puget Sound. It's a really nice boat for the size and price. But I also like the idea of being able to take a boat over to the east side of the mountains on the lakes and Columiba River, as well as trailer up north rather than make the long run. Is that feasable with a 28'?

I've known people who trailered 26' Bayliners and such with one ton trucks. I even knew one guy who trailered a 31' Camano Troll, but he did so with a Top Kick and technically needed Oversize Load signs.

The specs say it is 7,500# and has a 10' beam. Seems to me like a one-ton pickup ought to be able to tow that. The 10' beam seems borderline, but I'm not sure what the requirements are there. I know a standard lane is at least 11' wide. Does anyone know of people who trailer these boats?
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I think a lot of it has to do with state laws. We looked into it for a haul from CT. to NY and we were told a 10' beam needs oversized/overweight permits for both states.
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

One of the Albin 28s I was looking at here in California actually came with a trailer. As the previous poster said depending on the states you will be in you will/may need to pull permits because of the trailer width.

You need to remember the most specs state dry weight. Adding fuel and other supplies will increase that. A good rule of them is to add one third of the dry weight to figure out your total hauling weight. This will take into account fuel, added batteries, trailer ect..... The other option is to have it weighed at a haul out facility.

I actually priced getting a custom trailer built for mine at a local trailer manufacturer, he quoted me $9500.00. I decided not to do it.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
trawlerdeejay

Trailering

Post by trawlerdeejay »

Bought my Albin 28 on FL Gulf coast and had a professional transport it to MD. He pulled his trailer with a heavy duty pickup- but had to have permits because of the width of the boat.

If you get a pro to haul- make SURE he knows about the skeg AND has the right equipment to handle it. The first time they came to pick it up, I paid the marina for forklift but it would not rest on trailer he had. (Still had to pay for the haulout). 2nd time he had another trailer and was just barely able to accomodate skeg.

I think the best trailer would be a sailboat trailer.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

The maximum legal width for operation on the federal higway system without a permit is 8'-6" (102"). As far as I know most of the 50 states have adopted this same limit. To haul a TE 28 legally you will need a permit. When my new boat came down from RI to MD permits were required. Because of this limit you will find that a lot of equipment including boats, trucks and trailers are 8'-6"" wide.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

hmmm.... We'll, I suppose one could get a permit. I wonder how difficult/expensive that is.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

In most states there is a permit office that grants special permits. If you call them they can tell you what is involved and what the restrictions are (daylight, weekdays, etc). I know it is very routine for truckers to get these and I think most truck stops can get them for you. What I am not sure about is whether or not non-CDL license holders are eligible. Best is to call and ask.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, I won't be buying this boat any time soon (or probably ever), but I will keep it all in mind. If I had $150,000 laying around it'd be nice to have a baby brother to tie up next to the Nordvika. But I don't.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

7500# boat dry plus another 2500# for fuel, water & personal supplies plus 2000# for a substantial trailer is still far less than a quality 5th wheel trailer you see RVers drag around with a 1 ton truck. Many are towing 16,000# trailers plus whatever is in the truck.

18" oversize can't cost much in permits & is only 9" per side. The truck mirrors most likely stick out more than that & don't count in the width overall.

Sounds like a plan. Live onboard & cruise the lakes. Not bad living. You just have to watch your height. 13' or 13'6" seems to be the limit in most states to be safe.

You will have the oddest looking RV in the park, sure to get lots of attention.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

My goal has always been to get my hands on a 1980's Boston Whaler Revenge (cuddy cabin model) and use it both for boating on the sound as well as on the many inland lakes we have nearby. Rather than bringing a tent (or sleeping in my Tahoe as I currently do) at state parks and campgrounds, I'd just use the boat as a sort of versatile camper trailer. I honestly don't know why more people don't do this.

The Albin would probably be a little too large to back into a state park camp site!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

28 TE for sale in CA on a trailer /
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... d=17002511
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Here's another one...

CLICK

Price makes me feel good about my 95
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:Here's another one...

CLICK

Price makes me feel good about my 95
It's already gone!

(Site says it's "no longer available")
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Pitou wrote:28 TE for sale in CA on a trailer /
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... d=17002511
Hand powered winch and a bunk trailer. My back hurts just thinking about it!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Good eye DougSea, "Hand powered winch and a bunk trailer. My back hurts just thinking about it!"

I guess it's a high tide haul! :shock: How did I miss that one?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”