• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shade??

chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Shade??

Post by chiefrcd »

With all the brutal heat and sun..thought I would post a few pics of the top I put over a portion of my cockpit...can't discribe the difference having shade makes when you're out there drift fishing all day..

Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Nice addition Chief! I really like the boat too.

Couple of quick questions. Can you post another pic of the the joint/connection from the original hardtop to the aftermarket to? I'm curious how this was done. Is the new top glass or fabric? Looks like glass. Who made it?

Cheers!

E.A.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That looks great. I also like the covered moorage.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

I'll get a better picture from the front side, but in the first picture you'll see the lip that rises up above the rear of the cabin. This piece of plastic is screwed from the inside of the cabin. You can see those screws in the second picture. Disregard the bright white plastic strip you see as this is what holds my winter curtains on. The top is contoured around the aluminum radar arch on the sides and over laps the top by a few inches. This is where he removed the orginal screws (see second picture) and used the same holes to screw the top on with. It was sealed with 3M5200 as is the stanchons which hold the back in place. They are also through bolted to the top of the gunnel. It's rock solid. The top is made of tubular aluminum and some type of hard plastic sheeting. Not fiberglass but not cloth. Never leaks and offers some great handholds when rocking, lots of good shade ( primary purpose) and some additional rain and splash over protection. The cost was $1800 installed and it was done by a man named Albert Martin who ownes his own aluminum fabrication business.
Last edited by chiefrcd on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Man that looks great! Nice clean installation too.

You may as well put a tuna tower on that thing too....it seems like you have the steps for it all ready! :lol:
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

That looks like a really nice installation - and let's you fish, board the boat, etc. while having some nice shade.

I'll have to post a picture of the cockpit bimini that the previous owner had made for our boat. It was a big selling point for my wife since she has to stay out of the sun. It actually connects to the drop curtain header and covers most of the cockpit while sealing out almost all of the rain. When it's not in use it folds down on the transom. Blocks access to the transom door but I don't expect to catch many fish so big I need the door!

And I love the covered slip! Very nice. And your boat looks great too...I'm getting more and more improvement ideas - I may need to stop visiting the forum!! :)

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Chief,
That is a very professional looking job. It adds to the looks of the boat.
Great idea!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

More Shade Ideas

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I've been tracking yachtworld for boat improvements. One that I have high on my list is an framed cockpit cover like Chief's. I really like the way Chief did his, but I'm posting a few photos of other ideas I've seen on Albins for sale.

Here they are for your perusal...

BTW... before I found this forum, one of the ways I found out about neat Albin ideas is to register with www.yachtworld.com to send me ~ weekly emails with any new listings for Albin 28TEs for sale. The listings (mostly) include a bunc of photos and it's always interesting to see what oter folks have done to their boats. Just an FYI in case you folks hadn't thought of it before.

When I get my Albin top installed I'll post photos of the finished as well.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chiefrcd »

thanks Jorge, I appreciate the comments. I also looked a long time at different types of tops but really wanted something hard and sturdy so that people in the cockpit could reach up and grab it without worry. By the time I got prices on soft tops and frames and brackets to hold the top, it was as much as I paid for a hard top bolted to the gunwales. btw....YacthWorld is how I found my boat. I was on the mailing list for a year. Great way to find Albins on the market. I still go back every month or so to see what's for sale and to do some search for ideas as well.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Finally got some more shots of mine uploaded to Photobucket.

The cool thing about this bimini setup is that it connects to the upper track of the drop-curtains. During some pouring rainstorms and heavy spray runs we had very little water drip down between the bimini and the back of the pilothouse roof. It's also nice because the wind can't get under it. This setup survived the remnants of Ernesto with the bimini UP :shock: and had no damage whatsoever. Wind gusts to 75+!

It does fold down out of the way (I havn't put the cover on it in this shot) if you need more clearance. We were running races for our club and had lots of flags to put up and down quickly (That's my crew, not the Admiral):

I do still think Chief's is pretty darn cool looking!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Funny

I also have been doing research on yachtworld about different types of convertible/hard tops for Albins.
I saved them for idea purposes. Here is a hard top and convertible worth looking at:

I still like chiefrcd's hardtop for it's beefy construction!

Gery
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Compromise

Post by SpaceCoaster »

Gery,

The 2nd picture you posted shows an interesting compromise between shade and "fishability". The picture shows a joint about 1/2 of the way back that permits the top to fold (back or under?). I'm not sure how well this would hold up in choppy seas bouncing around. Not so mention my six-year old and her little cruising buddies might decide to hang off the frame one day bringing it all toppling down.

A better solution for us (mostly) cruisers and (part-time) fishermen might be a cross between the Chief's structurally sound solution and one of the other ones pictured above that cover all the way back. I'm working with my neighbor who owns a marine metal fab shop in Port Canaveral to come up with a reasonable solution. When it's done it'll be posted here for your consumption.

BTW... great picture/graphic of your Albin with the chart. I've been admiring it. You should go into business selling custom-morph'd photos for boatowners.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”