• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cabin Ventilation

Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cabin Ventilation

Post by Richard »

I would like to install a solar powered vent in my TE 28 and would like and would like input from others that have done this. Where is a good location and what kind of problems if any did you encounter in the installation in cutting the 4 or 5 inch round hole in the fiberglass and headliner ? If I leave my forward quarter berth port glass open as an intake it seems that only one vent should be needed. What do you think?
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Cabin Ventilation

Post by DougSea »

Richard wrote:I would like to install a solar powered vent in my TE 28 and would like and would like input from others that have done this. Where is a good location and what kind of problems if any did you encounter in the installation in cutting the 4 or 5 inch round hole in the fiberglass and headliner ? If I leave my forward quarter berth port glass open as an intake it seems that only one vent should be needed. What do you think?
When I looked into adding one of these to my previous boat I thought I'd mount it in the actual forward hatch. Easy to cut, and no permanent holes in the boat itself.

I did read recently that there's a school of thought that the solar vents are no good since they draw warm moist air into your cabin and then leave it there to condense overnight when they shut down. So now we need to invent a solar powered vent that charges during the day and runs after dark...

Doesn't answer your question (sorry!) but it's something to think about.

Doug
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I thought that is what they did...charge batteries during the day and run the fan at night (or even all the time)??

The hatch is a good idea but I would prefer not to block any of the natural light that comes into the cabin through the hatch plexiglass. Would be a lot easier though.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Richard wrote:I thought that is what they did...charge batteries during the day and run the fan at night (or even all the time)??

The hatch is a good idea but I would prefer not to block any of the natural light that comes into the cabin through the hatch plexiglass. Would be a lot easier though.
Not all models have batteries so they only run when the sun is shining, and so they're pulling air in during the hotest parts of the day.

You are correct that those that do have batteries would run into the night although I'd assume that they'd be less efficient as they switched over to battery and would eventually stop.

As for blocking the light, you could try and place a disk of cardboard about the size of the fan you're considering on the hatch and see how much light you lose. I think you'd find it's still plenty bright with light from the compaionway and the ports, as well as the unblocked portion of the hatch - cheap way to find out.

All of this is NOT based on experience :) but on information I picked up reading and thinking about how effective these types of fans would be. I may still install one myself, my older 28TE can get a bit 'stale' smelling after a week closed up on the mooring!

I'll be interested in hearing other's feedback.

Doug
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I mounted 2 12 volt fans (one at either end of the cabin) in my last boat. Seemed to work pretty well.
I just put the top down on this one.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”