• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31 or 35 TE

jerseyalbin

31 or 35 TE

Post by jerseyalbin »

Now that this season is pretty much history for me in NJ we are thinking about next year, we want a bigger Albin than our current 28 TE. Have begun looking around and there are not too many out there, we do prefer the 35 and I have found several which are possibilities. I do not necessarily want the flybridge model but I have seen several and have a few questions for current owners:
1. With twin Yanmar 370's or something comparable what type of fuel mileage do you experience?
2. In speaking with a former Albin dealer they said that the 35TE with the flybridge had stability issues and was not designed to carry that extra weight up there? I have never heard this and wanted to ask any current owners or others who have experienced this type of problem or complaint? How much do you rock and roll up there in a seaway?

Any one with info on a good 31 or 35 would be welcome, my boat is listed (2005 28TE with 260 hrs, all options air , generator, hydraulic lifts, etc)

Thanks,
Craig
Jersey Albin
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Re: 31 or 35 TE

Post by Legacy »

I went from the 28 to a 35 and never regretted it. I have the TE model with a tuna tower/twin helm stations with no stability problems. I don't have experience with the 35 command bridge. The twin 370 Cummins move the boat right along, cruise between 18 & 20 and wide open I can hit 29/30 properly trimmed. Figure 8-10 gals per hour per engine at cruise. I find it reasonably economical. Happy to address any specific questions. If you find yourself in Boston, I boat until December 1 and can run you around.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I have a 31te just over the bridge from you. If you are interested I will probably be in the water 2 more weeks if you like to take it for a ride some afternoon or weekend.
Mahalo seems to burn 14-15 gal per hour running 3000-3200 rpms @ 20-21 knots.
Twin 315 yanmars. Email me if interested be glad to help with your decision. :P
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I have the 2000 35TE--no flybirdge with twin 370hp Cummins. I agree with Rick on the gph and cruise info. I wanted the the no flybridge version because I wanted to be able to fish as long as my age permits--minimum steps. Also easier for me to dock by myself. I also wanted the model with the kitchen up so I needed a 2000 or later model. These were just personnal preferences and may not apply for you. I also prefer Cummins over yanmar because I have always thought the 5.9 Cummins is one of the best diesels made--but again that is just my opinion. I don't have anything against yanmar and would probably have bought this boat if it had them.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

zinbaad wrote:I have a 31te just over the bridge from you. If you are interested I will probably be in the water 2 more weeks if you like to take it for a ride some afternoon or weekend.
Mahalo seems to burn 14-15 gal per hour running 3000-3200 rpms _AT_ 20-21 knots.
Twin 315 yanmars. Email me if interested be glad to help with your decision. :P
Thanks for the offer we met briefly at the Rendevous in Essex, I remember your beautiful blue hull, like the name too. Our daughter lived in Hawaii for 3 years and we visited numerous times. It seems realistic to get form 14 - 18 gph from these twin engine boats. It is so difficult to find a 31 other than a few 10 plus year old models. I found one 31 on LI but it was a 1999 and I would prefer something in the 3-6 year old area. I am confident of the ride on the 31 I am sure it is a dream!!

Thanks for the input and offer, Craig
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

TD wrote:I have the 2000 35TE--no flybirdge with twin 370hp Cummins. I agree with Rick on the gph and cruise info. I wanted the the no flybridge version because I wanted to be able to fish as long as my age permits--minimum steps. Also easier for me to dock by myself. I also wanted the model with the kitchen up so I needed a 2000 or later model. These were just personnal preferences and may not apply for you. I also prefer Cummins over yanmar because I have always thought the 5.9 Cummins is one of the best diesels made--but again that is just my opinion. I don't have anything against yanmar and would probably have bought this boat if it had them.
I appreciate the input and actually would love to get a boat just like yours!!! It is difficult to find 35TE's in general, the one I found has twins and a flybridge but looks like a fantastic boat. There are 2-3 on the east coast but I am jammed up trying to sell mine first. Rick/Legacy in Boston seems to be very happy with his flybridge version. It seems like alot of boat for a single at about 18,000 pounds. I would expect the cruise would drop a bit. This particular boat does have a trade in option which is desirable as there seem to be alot of 28's on the market. I think I will try to get a good look at it and I may have a question or two after that!

Thanks for the help , Jersey Albin, Craig
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

It is harder to find the 35TE. I was lucky about three years ago when I put an add in the LI, NY newspaper for this one. I will be happy and try to answer any questions. I use it mainly for fishing for halibut, ling cod, and salmon. We make several trips up to 50 miles offshore and I have found it to be a good stable boat drifting and navigating. I have posted some fishing pics under the fishing forum subject.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
fuenstock
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fuenstock »

I also own an Albin 28te named Pacific Brew. If I could do it again I would have went for atleast the 31te with twins. The extra space is nice to have especially at the helm. Twin engines would give me a little piece of mind when off shore. Of course this comes at double the fuel burn and double the engine maintance costs. Its worth it to some, but not to others.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I am a bit confused as to Fuenstocks last reply. As to the comparison of twins in a 31, yes you will have double the maintenance but I think his referance to double the fuel compares to single diesel in a 28 te (8000lbs?). Don't forget the weight differance in a 31 is close to double the 28, the 31 being around 16,000 lbs(gen/air + included). With twin 315 yanmars @ 3000 & 3100 RPMs, I consistently cruised over 20+ knots & used around 14.5 gph averaged over the 10 hour run back & fort to Essex this year. While there are not many 31 on the board posting I can not imagine a 31 with a single 315 will burn only 7 gal per hour & move the 16000 lbs at any where near the same speed. Perhaps a larger single Cummins or 370 yanmar will move it at 20+ knots but the fuel consumption can not possible be 1/2 or 7 gph (1/2 14.5 gall w/ twins)
Although I do not care for the double maintenance part, having twins is a little more assuring I will be able to get back to port.
Please guys chime in with any single diesel 31s & their fuel consumptions. :?:
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

I should maybe clarify my gph. I get real close to 10 gph each engine or 20 gph with the twins at a cruise of 1800-1850 RPM reasonably calm seas [less than 2 feet chop] and speed is 20mph. I am usually loaded with up to 370 gallons fuel, 100 gallons water, lots of fishing gear, survival raft, four people on board etc. Also have 6 cubic foot freezer mounted in cockpit. In most cases I would guess I am running at 22000-24000 pounds. My data experience is based on one timed 100 mile trip refill, gps and/or speed pickup on transducer. I don't trust my flow meters because I haven't got them calibrated yet. This is not precise measurement data so I could be off some.
Last edited by TD on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
etesian32
Mate
Mate
Home Port: none

Post by etesian32 »

I just purchased a 2005 35 TE single Yanmar 440HP. Galley up model no flybridge, genset, cockpit freezer, 2 zone a/c and heat. Have only been on a sea trial and saw 20 knots wide open (against a 3-4 knot current). Just had the prop reworked as the wide open rpm barely reached 3000rpm.The previous owner states it cruises at 16-18 knots with an average 10 gph burn. 8 knots at 4 gph. Can't wait for spring. Good luck.
Steve
Steve
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Congratulations on your 35. Beautiful vessel with nice fuel consuption!
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TD »

Congradulations Steve --I am sure you will like your future boating in the TE35. Do you have a bow thruster? Not always needed but handy sometimes.
Terry
HANG'M HIGH
Seattle
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Great boat! Post some pictures. Sharon and I have changed our minds about the 35 CB and are leaning towards a 35 TE.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jerseyalbin

Post by jerseyalbin »

Steve you should plan to come to the NE Rendevous in Essex, CT. it was a great time and a chance to meet a number of very nice Albin Owners. I do not think we had a 35TE last year?

Did you buy the one from NH, I think it was named Summersalt? I found it on line and would have loved to grab it but need to sell the 28 first.
Best of luck and hope our wakes cross!!

Craig
JerseyAlbin

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”