• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How to dock your Albin

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: How to dock your Albin

Post by jcollins »

Rob Crow posted this one. Very good read and very helpful. Thanks Rob!
Mike,

I have a 1987 Albin 36 and have never really needed a bow thruster. I will admit there have been a couple of times one would have come in handy and given me a little 'finesse' but never seemed worth the $8-10K to have a bow thruster installed. When I first got my boat (about 5 years ago), I discovered this web site created by Bryant Vann, who shall be ever referred to as "Saint Bryant". Here's the URL: http://www.his.com/~vann/KrgStuff/Krognidx.htm scroll down about 3/4 of the site to 'section 9'. Article 9.5 really helped me (along with the other docking articles). You will learn about 'goosing' and a 'magic stick' amongst other really helpful techniques.

Once you get these techniques down, you will really 'wow' the other captains that not only have two engines but a bow and possibly stern thruster.

Good luck,
Rob

Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mjohnh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saugatuck, Mi

Post by mjohnh »

I am a new Albin owner and my dock has current from starboard and usually wind from starboard.....here most boats are docked "bow in". I have had a very hard time as the wind/current carries the stern away from the dock.....I have a starboard tie on ......so the stern is carried away from the dock. I think that most boats are docked bow in due to water depth, but I think I have enough to dock stern in and will try it the next time......I have just read Ric's primer on docking and it may be that "stern in' would be much easier....any thoughts or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
schorert
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: cape cod

Post by schorert »

Reading all I can pending the purchase of a 28 TE. Decades of experience with outboards, reading these posts has me downright terrified. where the hell am I going to find a place to practice this??

lots of good info here, and it looks like a great boat!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

schorert wrote:Reading all I can pending the purchase of a 28 TE. Decades of experience with outboards, reading these posts has me downright terrified. where the hell am I going to find a place to practice this??

I wouldn't worry - I went from a boat with a volvo duoprop outdrive you could turn on its length to the Albin that i now dock astern in any weather without issue.

Its just a new learning curve and something different - maybe for practice, a couple of danbuoys on a shot line a bit more than the beam of the boat in open water?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

schorert wrote:Reading all I can pending the purchase of a 28 TE. Decades of experience with outboards, reading these posts has me downright terrified. where the hell am I going to find a place to practice this??

See if you can find a 28TE owner to spend some time with you. I'm thinking that shouldn't be too tough on the Cape. Next choice would be someone with lots of boat handling experience. Our marina manager did dock practice with me a few times. He is absolutely unflappable and a great coach.

Good luck and have fun. I know you'll figure it out.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

[quote="schorert"]Reading all I can pending the purchase of a 28 TE. Decades of experience with outboards, reading these posts has me downright terrified. where the hell am I going to find a place to practice this??lots of good info here, and it looks like a great boat![/quote

My 28 docks stern in, bow facing north on a dead end canal. I usually don't bother going out on a strong east wind because my bow will swing west and I am unable to bring her back unless I want to go broadside to the boats that are pointing east at the end of the canal. On Sunday there was a 15-20 knot NW wind and this time my bow was pushed over to the east and I had issues getting her back into her crib. All in all it comes down to experience, practice, don't panic, go slow and if you have to pull, out and do it again. I actually did a you tube video on backing in, Go you tube, under search put in "28 Albin backing stern in." It will give you and idea of how small an area I have to work with. Patience, Good Luck.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Serenity wrote:I actually did a you tube video on backing in, Go you tube, under search put in "28 Albin backing stern in." It will give you and idea of how small an area I have to work with. Patience, Good Luck.
That search didn't produce any relevant results. How about a link?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nancy wrote:
Serenity wrote:I actually did a you tube video on backing in, Go you tube, under search put in "28 Albin backing stern in." It will give you and idea of how small an area I have to work with. Patience, Good Luck.
That search didn't produce any relevant results. How about a link?
https://youtu.be/ZYT0Ei1M020
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Nancy's Promise
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Keyport NJ

Post by Nancy's Promise »

I just bought an Albin 28. The guys in my marina asked me how am I going back into the slip. I told them I watched a YouTube video. They all laughed. I put the boat in the slip on my first shot on my maiden voyage. I takes practice but it's not bad. In reverse turn the wheel left and forget it.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Jim's Boat wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:11 pm I just bought an Albin 28. The guys in my marina asked me how am I going back into the slip. I told them I watched a YouTube video. They all laughed. I put the boat in the slip on my first shot on my maiden voyage. I takes practice but it's not bad. In reverse turn the wheel left and forget it.
Especially with a starboard side tie up.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Pitou wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:28 pm Especially with a starboard side tie up.
Whenever getting fueled up or pumped out I always thanked Albin for the starboard side fuel fill and and waste cap
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
bigbackhoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDGEWATER, MD

Post by bigbackhoe »

You need to know left from right hand prop. For LH prop, boat only rotates CCW, therefore its nice to have a starboard side slip. Don't rely on your bow thruster to save the day.
Allowing for wind and current, stop forward movement- turn wheel full left and pop throttle forward/back- as you get your turn to about 80 degrees back boat close to port side pilings and put it in. Your transom door needs to be open to see piling and swim platform.
If you have strong winds/current start rotation early to allow for time to rotate
JimCoughlin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod

Post by JimCoughlin »

After a 40 mile trip to the new home of our 97 Albin 28 on Cape Cod we did a pretty good job of backing her into our slip. 45 minutes of pathetic practice in our outer harbor around vacant mooring balls was extremely helpful. The posts on this thread gave us a roadmap to follow that made a huge difference for us. Thanks to all for your experience and wisdom.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Yeah, we use a lot of JCollins' technique with our A25. Except the Yanmar engine we have is right hand turning prop, unlike left hand propped Volvos, so prop walk astern is to port. But I digress from my reason for dropping in on the TE forum. We're visiting Fisherman's Bay on Lopez Island, WA & spotted a 28 TE docked in the Islander Resort Marina. Anyone know who that is?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Hartbeast
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mill creek-Annapolis,Md

Post by Hartbeast »

The 28TE can definitely act as a sail on a windy day docking. I always turn clockwise into the wind when docking which acts as a brake when lining up the slip. Going down wind just pushes you out of position at an accelerated pace.
Chris H
“Sea Kelpie”
2000 28 TE engine box
Annapolis,MD

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”