• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Starboard list on 31TE

SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Starboard list on 31TE

Post by SCHUTZEE »

When I bought Ann Rose, the surveyor and I noticed a slight starboard list. The salesman from White Water Marine explained that was due to the fact that there was no genset. There is some lead ballast on the port side which appears factory installed.

How can I determine the cause of the listing?
Last edited by SCHUTZEE on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Thats quite a list. I'm not familiar with the location of all the tankage in a 31 but would assume that you've checked all that to make sure the boat is balanced? I'm not familiar with thermo-imaging but any good surveyor will use a moisture meter to check for moisture in the hull, or he'll tap it with a hammer...I think if I had a 3 to 4" change, I'll haul it and get someone to run a moisture meter over it or get a good surveyor to just check the hull/keel.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our boat will list as much as 5-6 degrees (6+ inches at the waterline) just from the fuel tanks becoming unequally loaded while sitting at anchor. Before you do anything expensive, check your tanks. Keel repairs shouldn't expose any internal foam to water intrusion.
tomcat rio

would having it weighed

Post by tomcat rio »

...give you some insight as to water intrusion?
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

How do I know if my tanks are balanced? I have three tanks connected to a manifold. I keep all three valves open so I assume the tanks self balance. Right now I have a full load of fuel, but I have noticed that the fuel gauge may read ½, but it takes only 100 gallons to fill. With three 100 gallon tanks it should be more like 150
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Well, it's hard to say. On our boat (a 36' ET), the fuel gauge can be switched to show each tank. The tanks are self leveling in so much as the fuel will flow between them to balance out for whatever position the boat happens to be in at that time. In our boat, if you put a bunch of weight on one side (like four people sitting around the cockpit table), the boat initially just lists a little bit, the large volume of fuel on the opposite side keeping the boat close to level. But as that fuel starts to shift to the side all the weight is on, the boat lists more and more, until one tank is completely full and the other is rather low. I have seen the boat on a nearly 10 degree list while sitting still. The only way to correct it is to shift weight to the other side, and leave it there for hours. Also, running the engine tends to equalize the tank volumes due to the recirculating fuel system.

As for how to check the tank level, if your boat is not equipped with a switched fuel gauge, or inspection ports, you are kind of SOL unless you can gauge the fuel level by rapping your knuckles against the side of the tanks.
SCHUTZEE
First Mate
First Mate

Post by SCHUTZEE »

Mariner,

Thanks! I think you have explained it. Now that I think back, the list is alway worse after being at anchor for a while and people congregate on one side. Next time I'm out I will try shutting off all three tanks when I stop to prevent fuel from flowing between tanks.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”