• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 IO version and draft

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Albin 28 IO version and draft

Post by mhanna »

I like the layout of the Albin 28 boat but always had an issue with the 38" draft. I have seen a few Albin 28's with a IO drive instead of the skeg and rudder. The IO version seems to only draw 22" (I assume with the drive up). I do not see alot of these and was wondering if it was because of a product choice just not to make them any more or was there some kind of sea-keeping tradoff that just did not work out well.
I was wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to run one of these and could pass along some comments on their speed and or how they handle ? Based on the IO design when cutting into a turn I would guess the boat would roll into the turn instead of out ???
Also I would like to ask about running the skeg version into some sand.... I would use this boat in the LI Great South Bay and history has shown that sooner or later you are bound to hit some of it. I see the skeg and prop area seem pretty strong but not sure how that helps you to get out of a 'situation'.

Thanks in advance for any comments
Matt
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Matt,
Can't comment on the IO option, did see a few when I was looking for my boat. My Albin seems to be a tad bit stern heavy now, can't imagine what it would be like to move the engine all the way aft and hang a outdrive on it. But, I can comment on running aground. Seems that I have more than my fair share of marks on the bottom of the Chesapeake. So far I've not had any "hard" groundings, but I've run aground coming in and out of my creek. All sand. I just stop the vessel, hit the bow thruster and spin the boat off the bottom. The only damage I've seen is that it will take all the bottom paint off of the area that hit.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Matt,
When searching around I found a couple of i/o Albins. I was initially drawn in that direction because of my creek being so shallow. All of my previous boats were i/o and it was nice to be able to idle through 18" of water on a low tide. I am no expert about these boats and others on this board know much more than me but I am guessing that Albin came up with the i/o version for that reason. Shallow draft. Naturally the i/o provides much better handling when backing in/out of a slip. Now, I just wait for mid-to-high tide. I don't have a choice. My minimum is 2.9 now. I have dragged in at 2.6 but it didn't sound good. My bottom is muck and shells.
I agree with chief about it being heavy in the stern. Since I've never been on a i/o version, is the engine box moved back?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

The two I saw had the engine box all the way back against the rear bulkhead ( stern ) of the boat. Neither was in the water so I don't know if they had ballest somewhere to counter balance the weight aft. Also, both were engines with somewhere in the 210 hp range, I think one was a Volve and the other a Mercede's Benz.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
tomcat rio

i suspect an I/0 might be faster...

Post by tomcat rio »

i suspect an I/0 might be faster and be more fuel efficient, but a little more maintenence intensive. there doesn't seem to have been adaquate customer demand for the albin I/0, which may or may not be significant....i had a steigercraft 25 with a mercruiser bravo 3 out drive. corrosion was a concern, but i had a 'hi and dry" docking aragenment...
my brother had the same out drive in a marina and had to have the out drive replaced due to corrosion (under warantee) the first year, but he now still has the same type of hardware....
also, resale may be more difficult.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

My creek also is filled with sand/mud and with the skeg I might have to either plow through it at low tide or go with this IO version.
I have seen 2 IOs and yes the engine box is moved to the back of the boat like many IO's... I have seen other boats with jackshafts where the engine would be midship, but these I have seen have their engines on the back.
Its good to hear some feedback on the weight distribution, something that if I go forward with I will pay close attention to.
I have so far only test rode in the flushdeck model and in that one it felt light in the bow, adding just a little down tabs even while on plane made it feel more balanced.
I guess I will just have to test drive one and see
There are not too many of these out there as far as I can see and I have been wondering if there where / are issues and this keeps me skeptical.

Thanks
Matt
tomcat rio

i'll bet you could get this one for...

Post by tomcat rio »

...at least $10,000 less than the asking price.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... search.jsp
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Thanks for clearing up the engine box question.
Matt - I agonized over the low tide situation in my creek. Either put out a couple of markers, or use your GPS to follow the same route in and out. You will eventually dig a channel for your boat. On the real low tides, you just can't got out. (or come in) The one time we couldn't get in this summer, we just dropped anchor and a friend took us home in his dingy. When the tide came in, I went back and got the boat.
It really doesn't happen as much as I thought it would. Some planning is involved.
Tomcat is right. Performance and fuel economy is better with an i/o. But it's a diesel. It's already got good fuel economy. Personally, 1 or 2 knots doesn't make that much of a difference to me. What I really miss is the handling. Again, once you get used to the inboard it's not bad. You just learn over time. I'm still learning since this is my first season.

I/O's are expensive to maintain. Period. But, with proper care they will last. I hear about the corrosion nightmares and I just chalk that up to poor maintenance. Mine was 14 years old and showed just a little.

Just another thought about that ad that Tomcat posted. I am very skeptical about a 10 year old boat that requires new exhaust, turbo, and outdrives.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”