• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE hull core material

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

28TE hull core material

Post by mhanna »

Does anybody know what year(s) and what type of coring has been used by Albin in there hulls (below the waterline) ?
I was under the impression that they were first built used balsa coring and at some year they switched to foam then again to something called cross link pvc. I also have heard that for a period of time they did solid layups.
I am concerned about through hulls and the integrity.
Matt
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I believe they have been using Airex for a while now. I saw a piece of this material that had been in a bucket of water for over a year and did not appear to absorb any water.

Here's the link to Albin's info on the material ...

http://www.albinmarine.com/Press/Airex%20Artical.html
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Thanks for the link, I looked at that article and although I would prefer a solid layup, I would not mind the Airex because it should not absorb water like you said.
Just wondering what year they started using it... I think I will call them and ask.

Thanks
Matt
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Matt: Please post what you find out. The cored hull was the one concern I had about purchasing an Albin and the Airex material seems like a great improvement over balsa. I hope they switched before the 97 models.
Russ
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Russell wrote:Matt: Please post what you find out. The cored hull was the one concern I had about purchasing an Albin and the Airex material seems like a great improvement over balsa. I hope they switched before the 97 models.
Russ
My '98 is definitely balsa.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

After a few phone transfers at Albin I spoke to Ed who said that for the 28TE they started using the Airex core on the 2000 year models, before then it was balsa. He said there was nothing wrong with the balsa, just that it was time to switch to the new material. He did say that with water intrusion the balsa would wick where the Airex would keep it to a very small area.
Im sure someone has drilled through for a transducer or through hull fitting and hit core.

Here is a question out to the group... has anyone had issues with water it the core ? and if so how did you fix it. I would assume a surveyor would find it with a moister meter.
Kind of makes me want to buy one and go around checking every time the boat comes out....
:shock:
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Matt,

My boat has the airex. One of my thru-hulls may be letting a little water in about 1 drop / minutes - I don't know if this is normal or not. I plan on checking this out, once we haul her out after thanksgiving. I'll let you knopw then what we find.
Last edited by Elizabeth Ann on Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

JackK, thanks for the link it was interesting.

I have already contacted a surveyor in my area to check my hull in the spring. Im not having any problem that I know of, I am just being safe. I am quite sure my 94 is a balsa core but I must say that pound for pound it is a very strong hull. I do not have even one crack in my gell coat anywhere on the boat. I think that is pretty good for a 12 year old boat.
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Collision

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I have a '94 also, likely balsa cored as well. I can only vouch for the toughness of the hull from an experience this past Labor Day. I was cruising up the ICW near Sebastian Inlet at cruise speed (~ 13 knots) and hit a 12' long piece of lumber (2" x 12"). By the sound and force of the impact I thought for sure there was damage. I keep my boat on a lift so upon returning home I inspected the bottom. There was a chunk of bottom paint missing, but the hull was intact!! Not too shabby. I also felt lucky that there was no prop damage. Labor Day weekend was saved as a result.

Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”