• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to the Board and Shopping

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

New to the Board and Shopping

Post by RicM »

Just got the green light to start shopping for the next boat and both "the admiral" and I have agreed that a 28 TE is the ticket. We are stepping up from a 1995 25' Pro-line Walkaround Bravo III I/O, which was actually a great fishing boat, but lacked the space for comfortable overnighting and socializing (my wife is quite the fishing finatic). We don't want to loose the fishability, but have greatly enjoyed overnights to Block Island & MV, (we are out of Wickford RI) and want to do more. Our price range is $80-100K. We have been told to avoid the Pennisular diesels but would appreciate some input on all motor options as well as any differences in configurations from year to year.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hey Ric,
Welcome to the board! You will love the TE28
Check this recent thread.
http://albinowners.net/aog/viewtopic.php?t=455
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Ric -

Welcome aboard. I'm in your neck of the woods (across the bay in Portsmouth). If you are looking for fishability (is that a word?), in my opinion the flush deck model provides the best cockpit configuration. It does make the quarter berth smaller though (something like 5 or 6" in width).

The 28 is a great fishing platform. The cabin is big enough for weekend getaways. In our area, the enclosed pilothouse really improves comfort in the spring and fall.

I would reccomend talking to Standish Boat Yard (local Albin dealer). Ken Hilton is the guy to ask for. He had a couple of brokerage 28's in the yard when I was there a few weeks ago.

If you are interested in going out on a 28, when we thaw, you are welcome to come over. I'm usually back in the water before the 1st of May.

Jack
"Dogonit" 28 TE
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Here you go Ric. Compliments of Tomcat. Only cost a couple of thousand to have it shipped.

http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_detai ... searchid=1
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tomcat rio

the best reason to avoid peninsulars...

Post by tomcat rio »

...may be resale value. a lot of the peninsular bad reputation seems to be non specific and hearsay. several folks here have them and they seem to be fine. i put a new one in this year and, with 85 hours on it. it seems to be fine. it was the least expensive (by quite a bit) option.
yanmars seem to quite prolific, but my concern with the yanmar was 'not enough cubes' and it seems to rev pretty high.the 300 hp yanmar may have a valve problem. the yanmars do have a fuel economy advantage. i average maybe 1.5 nmi/gal. a yanmar might average a little over 2.0 nmi/gal
Cummins engines seem to have a good rep. they develop a lot of torque at relatively low rpms . if i were buying a boat with a lot of engine hours, i might be most comfortable with a Cummins.
most marine mechanics will tell you that pretty much any diesel should last pretty much forever with proper scheduled maintenence. filters and oil changes are very important.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Welcome to the group RicM!

I would not rule out 28TE with Peninsular engines.
My boat is a 1994 with a Peninsular and have had very few issues.
You may find a great boat out there that is well maintained that has the Peninsular platform.

I think there are a few threads about the Peninsulars. It might be worth doing some research. Good luck

Gery Garcia
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Welcome to the board Ric. I purchased my 1994 28TE two years ago from Seacoast Marine in Newberry Port, MA. I was very happy with the way they treated me and I would recommend them to anyone. I am also very happy with my Albin, I have a Peninsular with 650 hours on it. It runs strong, is very efficient and is easy to do regular maintenance on. I am not far from your area, Im in Mystic, if you are still looking in the spring I would be happy to show you how my boat runs. Good luck with your search. Denis
digitrade

Post by digitrade »

The Yanmar engine is dependable and easy to get parts and service for. I recently had the third new engine put in my 2000 model and put on about 150 hours per month.

I load my boat heavy with extra fuel and ice for fishing 3 day trips. I have trouble believing the flush deck model would not be bow heavy because I know where I put the extra 1000 pounds of fuel and ice and it is not very far forward . It seems to me that the 1,000 pound engine that far forward on the flush deck model would be hard to get in trim. I also question ease of service on the flush deck model.

I would love to hear from someone with experience in the flush deck model.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Check this boat out

Post by RicM »

I'm thinking of taking a look at this boat, the broker told me $105K would take it. I'd like to know what the group has to say. You may have to copy and paste this rather long link:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... yachtsales&
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I like that boat. I purchased my boat through Prestige, I dealt with Pete and I highly recommend him if you can get him. That boat has eveything you can need! Vaccu-flush head, flat screen TV, inverter, and stainless ports....sweet!
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

105K? You better jump if it passes the survey....I paid 103K for a 5 year old TE28 with 500 hours and I was happy as a pig in slop....
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

If you can get it for 105, I'd go for it.

Looks very clean and has all the bells and whistles. From the pictures, It looks like it may need a paint job in the future, but that might be just salt or hardwater stains.
The inside looks pristine.

This model has a transom door door, which is great, but when we shopped for ours,the ones we saw with transom doors had alot of rust around the hinges and turned us off.
We went with a no transom door version (but wishing we had one)

Word of advice. If you are really serious, get a professional surveyor to give it a good look.

Gery Garcia
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

She is a beauty and priced right!
I love the interior
Good luck, Denis
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

That is a beautiful boat at a great price.
pacri

Post by pacri »

Hi Ric, I am in the market also for a 28, this sounds like a great deal for this year. Let me know how you make out. I didn't look at anything newer than 1998 because of my budget but considering this deal I am going expand my search. Good Luck.
Last edited by pacri on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”