• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

35 TE Albin flybridge

whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

35 TE Albin flybridge

Post by whwells »

Would really appreciate an opinion on these boats. I have seen a few comments that their may be stability issues with wind and waves. Is there anyone out there who has owned and operated the Flybridge edition.
This is factory option. There are some out there with the Marlin type option but it does not have the same area area for catching wind. If you have owned this model which engine or engines have been in the boat?whwells
DestinSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Destin, FL

Re: 35 TE Ablin flybridge

Post by DestinSteve »

We have a 35TE Flybridge with a single 450 Cummins. I find the stability at least as good as other similar sized boats. Very good powering in any direction as long as you keep the nose up downwind. At rest in a beam sea it rolls but maybe a bit slower than a boat without a keel. There is a difference between the single and twins in feel however I think if safety is a concern the extra speed from twins is your friend. In June we brought our boat from Venice FL to Destin. About 400 miles including about 160 of open water. Most of the trip was easy but the last 40 miles of the crossing was 30 knots of wind on the nose and steady 5's off the port beam. At no time did we feel unsafe but it was not pleasant. We do not have the lower station so get the full experience of whatever rocking and rolling there may be each trip.
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Post by Chuck Waygood »

whwells, I am sure you will hear from Doug as he has just taken his out to the Northeast rendezvous and should have had some wind or wave action. He has twin Yanmars, as I recall. I have twin Cummins 370's and the full flybridge with a full enclosure, and also carry a BOSS hard dingy on davits. Yes, there is a wind and wave effect but tolerable. I actually find a short 1-2 foot close chop, as we often have in the Gulf, the most annoying. with your longer wave lengths in the Pacific I should not think you would have a problem. As with the above post, I do not have a lower station so do feel the full effect of wind and wave. I have not sensed any stability problems. Its a good boat.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Destin & Chuck: Thank you both for the response. As with all Albin's everyone seems to like or love the boats even with a few reservations. Went back east last week to do a sea trial. Came away very pleased & felt it to be as pretty boat as I have ever had and then some. Have not completed the deal but do have a contract underway. The boat will go west to Vancouver, BC where it will be picked up and taken south. My plan is to winter in Anacortes, Wa and summer out at Neal Bay for fishing. Of course all this could change as things do happen with contracts. However, in this case the owner seems to need to move on as much as i expect to complete the deal. You all seem to have some great crusing waters back there. The boat is an all fresh water at this time which is a plus. Will post some picutres if the dream boat really gets done.
As before thank you for the opinions. Do enjoy the remaining season. How soon the fall arrives.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Whwells,

I'm so sorry!! I meant to respond to both this and your note some time ago... My bad!

I can say that I don't percieve any stability issues with this flybridge boat as opposed to any other quality boat builders product. If you're not used to a flybridge the increased motion that comes from sitting several feet further from the pivot point is certainly noticed, but I have found the ride to be generally very comfortable and I have complete confidence in the boat. And I LOVE driving up top!

There is a lot more windage in this boat comapred to the 28, both in overall length and in the increased height. With a strong crosswind the boat does lean, but this is easily corrected with the tabs. Also, compared to a friends 31 Albermarle, the Albin 35 is much more sensitive to a tab adjustment. So you only need to make small corrections to get the boat where you want it.

Hope this works out for you and I'm looking forward to hearing more! (And I'll respond much more quickly to any questions!!)

Best!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug & All Others Responding Thank you. I have made the plunge to the 35 Albin Flybridge 2006. There are pictures still listed with Jack Pady Marine Ontario, Canada. We have not fully completed the sale/ but all is in place and it should happen next week. I wanted a Marine title search and transfer of title by such an agency. Tile is clear and all should finish soon. It will be moved in Mid Sept. to Vancouver, BC where I will take possession. The boat will go from there to Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa. I have never boated in the Pac. NW and will have to go through customs. If there are any NW Albin owner's who are in the area and have the time and interests to boat along with me to my anchorage that would be great. Always a little scary first trip out in a new area and new to me boat. Boat has full electronics but no radar. Would like to delay that purchase until getting to the marina/ for warranty purpose, etc. However, if there should be fog my sense of security will take a another level of concern. Anyone out there able to help a brand new Albin owner with the first trip? I look forward to meeting other Alibin owerners in the NW and partcipating in any AOG activities there. WOULD REALLY APPREICATE ANOTHER BOATER TO TAG ALONG. whwells
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Odd, a 35' boat without radar, that's awfully rare. I would do the radar install before that first trip. What is your concern with warranty? AOG member 'Mariner' is in that area. Maybe he will chime in or may be best to send him a PM.

Good luck with finalizing the purchase and congrats!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

RobS: Agreed that it is rare to not have a radar. However, the owner in Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada did not feel it necessary. Surprising in that the balance of the electronics were state of the art for 2006. There are not quite so now. Trying to determine which radar is now compatible with the E120 multi raymarine unit display used at that time. Thus far have not been able to get through to the support people.

It was not a true warranty issue. Was simply trying to ascertain there are no liens out there. Buying a Canadian boat for USA means I need to be sure about a clear title. All seems fine now and expect closing in the next few days.

Hope to hear from Mariner or others on the solo travel issue. Again buying the radar unit in BC means more money as the US DOLLAR is not very healthy there and lack of local warranty support on the radar unit is important. I may be confused in rethinking your response. Yes, there is an issue of warranty for new purchases outside the US. We all know from experience that a local dealer who handles the tranaction is the best to go back too for service and support.

Thank you for the congrats. I am very excited about the boat as it and boating in the NW is a long term dream coming true. Don't want to make a mistake in a new area due to equipment and lack of experience in the area. Thus the reason for my request for local nagivation help and meeting some of the Albin owners there.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I think you'll find that the E-series is generally pretty compatible with the current Raymarine radar offerings.

How long is the Maiden voyage? I've made several long passages on boats without radar, with no issues. The trick of course is to be as sure as possible about your weather, and to always have an escape route planned if the weather turns against you. I agree that an experienced person on board is a great idea. Things can and do go wrong and it's so much more nerve wracking in a new to you boat if you don't have someone watching your back. That said, if you break the trip into reasonable segments you should be fine. And a day spent at the launching marina, with maybe a short familiarization ride thrown in, can also be a help...even if you have a mate.

A few other things to think about:

Have a backup, handheld GPS with you, along with fresh batteries. And if you can, pre-program your waypoints before you leave home. This I know from experience! :-)

Also have at least one handheld VHF, and keep it in the zipped up pocket of the life jacket that you never take off while underway. (Especially important if you are traveling alone!)

Also if traveling alone - Have A Way To Get Back In The Boat!!! If I remember the pictures you have a swim platform. Make sure the ladder can be deployed from the water. The gunnels on a 35 are WAY up high!

A few final things:
- spare fuel filters. I have 4 primaries and 2 secondaries that I carry all the time.
- A spare water pump impeller (again - experience!)
- Any other recommended Yanmar spares. I'm sure RobS could give you a good list.
- A good basic tool set
- A paid up BoatUS or SeaTow membership. Some people think it's overkill, but if you need a tow it can be VERY expensive. Not sure what the deal is on the Canadian side of the journey.

I'm sure I'll add a few more items.

I'm very excited for you, the 35 is a really great boat and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If I was out on the left coast I'd be looking to go! Best of luck!!
Doug
Sonny IV
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Sonny: Thank you for the suggesions. Please do keep them coming. Yes, I will make it a point to back up the filers and an impeller. Do always carry a good tool set. I will ask Nancy & Jeff Sharff what they carry with same Yanmar's. Jeff sometme back told me about a Yanmar one week class, I want to attend it when time allows and my monies stablize after this purchase, if ever they do. Well, don't let an airfare keep you away from a NW experience. Will need some help with preprograming the way points in an area of no prior experince. Hopefully, the marina people can help me there. The voyage should not be more than a half day in good weather. I am not certain what the customs check will do to me in time and delay. The back up portable gps is an excellent suggesion. Locally I could always get back with a compass/ and lots of caution, but then i know the area. I do have tow coverages with Travelers, but it may not work as well.
Again I need to think about alternatives. How do I contact Mariner out this way? I have an old sea cpt. friend that would come along for the ride normally, but he has no passport and may have complications getting one, so can't count on him for this venture. Kind of surprisd I have not heard from any of the local Albin owners thus far. As before everyone's advise is really appreciated.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

whwells wrote: Kind of surprisd I have not heard from any of the local Albin owners thus far. As before everyone's advise is really appreciated.
A number of the NW folks are not TE owners and may not read this section. Try posting something under General Discussion, including the from/to ports and dates. You may have better luck.
Doug
Sonny IV
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Doug: I am having problems trying to send a private message to Marinar. He is located in Gig Harbor, Wa. as home port. I will be there a week from this Fri 9-20 regarding my 290 Luhrs which has been sent to Sunset Yacht Sales for listing. Luhrs should get there today. Would like to get into touch with him, but have had problems trying to send a private message. Do you have any contact info to let him know my personal address. You should have it from prior contacts.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

DougSea: DId get off a private message to Mariner. Waiting for his response.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

whwells wrote:DougSea: DId get off a private message to Mariner. Waiting for his response.
Sounds good. Let us know if you find a mate for the trip.

(And post some pictures! :-) )
Doug
Sonny IV
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

DougSea: Would like to post some pictures, but really have not determined how that is done. I have pictures on email from the broker, but none at this point I actually took. The marine escrow closed yesterday so itis official that I own the boat - or perhaps correcly stated it now owns me.

Delivery wll occur to Vancouver, BC after the 15th of Sept. Hopefully, I can take some pictures on the way down to Anacortes, Wa to post.

Is there someway to post the email pictures sent to me by the broker?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”