• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leak!!

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

Re: Leak!!

Post by rcornejo »

Thanks again friends,

Great advice. I will pull the engine, inspect all the damage and soap it down well. Once that's done, Ill try the loctite. I don't think it's too bad at this point since I caught it fairly early. However, rust can take over quickly if you don't address it. For now, I will try and was it down with soap and water as well as possible while it is in the boat.

In the event the motor showed major signs of damage, I contacted Matt at Peninsular. Based on my conversations with him, it would cost about 20-22K to have a complete new system installed. That would include the labor to do it. I hope I don't have to go that route but if I do, I know what to expect. Has anyone repowered and do you know of any great deals? I would like to keep all my options open.

Thanks again for all your help.
Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

My mechanic in Marathon is a Yanmar 6LP whiz. He gets allot of engines that nobody else wants to deal with & goes through them to bring them back up to spec. He often lists them on his website:http://www.marathondiesel.com/site/stor ... gines.html. He & his team have always performed first-rate services on 'Grace Full'.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Jyanzi
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Singapore

Post by Jyanzi »

DougSea wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:31 pm Hi Roland! The new boat is great, we're really loving it and have already put over 100 hours on her!

To some of your questions:

You should NOT have to pull the engine to get to the shaft seal. It's a squeeze but others have gotten in there. Maybe your mechanic is just a big ole Texas boy?? :) Get a smaller one! Checking your shaft is fairly easy, assuming of course that you're out of the water. You need to hold a pointer, such as a pencil, that you brace against the bottom of the boat (your rudder should work for you) with the point just barely touching the edge of the shaft. Then have someone rotate the shaft. With that "fixed" point you shouldn't see any difference in distance between the pointer and the edge of the shaft. If you do, it's bent. The rudder would have to come out to get the shaft out. Not a huge job.

As far as the noise from you engine. Is that your only issue? I loved the "Beast" in our 28, never had Yanmar envy. I actually used to notice that I smoked less on startup and had less exhaust smell in general. If it's just noise I'd say you need to spend some time installing "Sounddown" or the like to keep the noise away from you. It doesn't take much of an opening to let an amazing amount of noise "leak in"! Of course the Peninsulars also have the exhaust on the starboard side so you would hear it reflecting off of the wake at some speeds. I found just a small movement of my head or opening the forward, instead of the aft, end of the side window really helped. You're talking about a LOT of money just for noise if the Beast is running well...

Let us know how this moves along!

Best
Just removed exhaust muffler and was more accessible, even for normal weight 5'10" body.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”