• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trolling valve

Bob_Lee
Mate
Mate

trolling valve

Post by Bob_Lee »

Pitau; nice write up. I think I will try to install one on my ZF tranny.
Where did you get the trolling valve?
Bob
A PFD is always in style
If you fall in the water
And swim for a mile
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

ZF contact info

Post by Pitou »

I called ZF in Rhode Island with my transmission model # to get the ball rolling. The service ctr. manager was very helpful and took his time with me as well. Contact info below. They also have a center in FLorida, California, Washinton and a couple of other locations in the states. I ordered my valve out of RI and it shipped from CA / RI was out of stock.

Scottie Mahl
Service Center Manager

ZF Marine, LLC
225 Metro Center Blvd. Unit 1
Warwick, RI 02886

Phone: 401-463-3005 Fax: 401-463-3008
scott.mahl@zf.com
www.zf-marine.com
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Bob_Lee
Mate
Mate

Which model tranny?

Post by Bob_Lee »

I have a ZF HSW 800 VI.
Scott had a valve at $1,640 for that tranny.
Which one did you get for $644?
Bob
A PFD is always in style
If you fall in the water
And swim for a mile
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

electronic valve / mechanical valve

Post by Pitou »

[quote]I have a ZF HSW 800 VI.
Scott had a valve at $1,640 for that tranny.
Which one did you get for $644?
Bob

I believe he quoted you an electronic valve, but I can't be sure. The valve is available as a mechanical (push pull cable) or electronic (requires swapping out your mechanical controls/shift ; throttle ) New controls over $ 3000 on top of valve cost, but takes out human error. A mechanical control can get you in trouble if the Captain or Crew does not make sure the valve is disengaged before shifting in or out of gear or exceeding RPM range of valve. The electronic automaticaly does all of this for you including disengaging the troll valve if you mistakenly go over the RPM range. Zf was putting on the sell with me for the Electronic Valve, but after discussing with them they felt I would be okay. I was told that I would not believe how many Captains install the mechanical and eventually toast their tranny for not operating the valve properly
I will PM you with the e-mail string, part# and quote. My tranny is a 800V - 1-1.4
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

As I noted earlier in this thread I found a mechanical lock out through Panish controls. I stopped in were they are made and asked to take a look at one. I will say if you think you need a lock out that is the way to go. I’m not trying to sell for them but it is a neat set up. The System is simple, easy to install and fool proof. It would add another six hundred to the cost of the valve but still cheaper than the electric and a lot more reliable. Would be able to self install later if you like. Your throttle control cable and valve cable goes on to one side and then two more cables hook on the other side and run to the throttle and valve. Cant move one cable with the other engaged. Throttle cable would have to be in idle position to open valve and valve has to be closed position to throttle up. They have been making controls for the navy since World War II.

Sorry to keep bringing it up but I do think they are worth a call before you decide what you want to do. For the cost might make my own lock out. But if I don’t make one, I will install a Panish lock out latter this year.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sea Anchor

Post by RicM »

I have been following this thread, as I fish for striped bass (rockfish) a lot. Most of the time we drift but trolling is a good way to prospect and move from place to place. I have a sea anchor for slowing the drift when it's breezy, but had never tried it to slow trolling. I did so on Friday AM and was amazed at how well it worked (2knts) and how easy it was to work with. For $60 it's a great alternative!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”