• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmissions and Trolling valves

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Transmissions and Trolling valves

Post by RicM »

Can anyone tell me what transmission was standard with the '03 28TE with the Yanmar 6LPA-DTP? I'm looking at 2 boats Wednesday and I am curious about the trolling speed issue on these boats and if a trolling valve can be installed. I find myself doing more drift fishing with live bait for striped bass this past season, but occaisionally go to the tube & worm.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

On my 1999 with engine box and Yanmar, my engine is in backwards and I have a v-drive, BorgWarner VelvetDrive 5000.....and you can't get a trolling valve for it. I think the flush deck have the engine further forward and facing forward. Their transmissions are conventional and are not v drives. You would really need to have the transmission model before you can get a solid answer. I can tell yo that these boats over the years came with all types of engine/transmission configurations.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I have a 2003 28 Flushdeck. It has the ZF-63A transmission and I'm told that a trolling valve can be added.

I do a lot of fishing as well. It is a real pain to troll for Striper without the valve. I have to keep knocking her in and out of gear to get slow enough. I'd love to know the cost of adding the trolling valve as well. Without the trolling valve, if I leave it in gear, we troll at around 4.5 - 5 kn. Currents change things accordingly.

Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

JackK wrote: Without the trolling valve, if I leave it in gear, we troll at around 4.5 - 5 kn. Currents change things accordingly.

Jack
Does current actually affect your trolling speed? I've seen others say the same thing but I can't get my head around it. It would certainly affect SOG (Speed over ground) but the fish are floating in the same water as I am. If I'm doing 5 knots, through the water, I don't understand how it matters to the fish if I'm going with or against the current. Am I missing something (which is VERY possible!!)

In an attempt to not hijack your question as to cost, I've written to Simplicity Marine asking about the cost of fitting a trolling valve to a ZF-63A. I'll post the answer when I hear back.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Speed through the Water

Post by RicM »

You are correct, it is the speed you are pulling the lure through the water that matters to the fish, not the speed indicated on the GPS. Trolling WITH the current at 5Kts indicated on the GPS is still a little fast as the current here in Narragansett Bay maxs out about 1.7kt. The issue is that the Albins move about 5kt at idle, so to be effective for striped bass you have to slow the boat somehow. However 5-7kt is perfect for tuna, mahi, and bluefish!
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Depending on the type of fish you are trying to catch the speed over the bottom as indicated by your GPS can be the important factor. Stripers sit on the bottom at the mouth of the Chesapeake where there are significant currents. If you only consider speed through the water and you are going against the current you could be sitting in one place and never catch a fish. If you are going with the current you will ge going too fast for these sluggish cold fish. Also you should troll in wide turns instead of a straight line. The lures on the outside speed up and rise while those on the inside slow and drop down. So you cover various depths and speeds while avoiding going with or against the current. By the way, I love the trolling valve that came on my boat.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”