• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Aft Bilge pump?

Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Aft Bilge pump?

Post by Robb »

The three of us spent the weekend cleaning, buffing, waxing and just getting to know the new boat better. This generated so more new-by questions, so please tolerate us and any help is appreciated.

We were cleaning and got water in the bilge and went to pump it out. I could not find a bilge pump switch on either the main panel or at the helm. "Spare 2" at the helm operated the forward bilge pump located next to the shower sump pump. The manual "Whale" pump in the cockpit seems to drain an aft bilge. The forward pump seems too small to be the main bilge pump. My question is where is the main pump located and where is it controlled from? The Albin literature references 3 pumps (1 manual, 2 electric).

We put her in the water next week and I want to make sure the main pump is up and functional on a float switch by then.

Also, down on the keel on the starboard side is a round bronze plate- see photo. Is this a drain plug? I have not typically seen drains on a bigger boat like this.

Thanks,

Robb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Aft Bilge pump?

Post by joe.baar »

Robb,
Our boat is a year older than yours and has a Yanmar, but the bilge pump switches might still be wired in a similar way. Your "Spare 1" on our helm panel operates the small pump under the saloon table in manual mode. Your "Spare 2" on our helm panel operates that same pump in automatic mode and I leave that switch on at all times. Your "Spare 3" on our helm panel operates what I call the main bilge pump in manual mode. That pump has no auto mode on our boat. It is located outboard beneath the helm , between the hot water tank forward and the holding tank aft, and there is a battery inboard of it. This pump used to be a Jabsco diaphragm model but when it died I replaced it with a Jabsco Water Puppy which is probably too small but works very well except during our winter 2-week freezes.

The bronze plate on your skeg is most likely a "garboard drain plug". I've never pulled mine and not all 28s seem to have them, but it will drain the lowest part of your bilge, where the suction end of your main bilge pump should be located.

Have fun,
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

The bronze plate on your skeg is most likely a "garboard drain plug". I've never pulled mine and not all 28s seem to have them, but it will drain the lowest part of your bilge, where the suction end of your main bilge pump should be located.
The previous owner of my boat never opened it. When I did, I was very surprised to see all the muck and sludge that came out. I open mine every year now when I pull the boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

My 97 helm layout looks just like yours. On my boat switch 1 sends power to the float switches and stays on all the time. Switch 2 manually turns on the forward pump and switch 3 turns on the aft pump. If switch 1 is not on the other two manual switches do not work.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I have a '97 28TE. The switches are on my helm "dashboard" for both the forward and aft pumps. I have never needed to use the forward pump and run it briefly now and then just to be sure it's working. I leave the batteries on and the auto switch on in case the boat suddenly takes water. Even after a heavy rain, the level of water in the engine compartment does not get high enough to trigger the float and start the pump. The float is aft in the engine compartment below the shaft. When I get the boat on semi-plane the auto pump will kick in or when I wash out the bilge.
There is a bilge pump filter that you can access throug the hatch on the centerline just next to the helm seat. You unscrew the plastic cap and clean the mesh filter and replace it.
Oddly, there is a sump in the middle of the boat below the deck aft by the transom (near the raw water filter) that does not drain and has no pump. I have to maually pump it out.
efishnsea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Staten Island NY

Post by efishnsea »

I have a 2005 flushdeck and couldnt find the mid bilge pump until I pulled the battery for the winter. There it was under the battery box. Bob
Bob 2001 28 TE box with 370 Cummins Alimarie3
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

Thank you everyone for your help- it would have taken me quite a while to deductively figure out the logic behind this bilge system.

This group is great! Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

my dashboard lettering has faded. From the picture above I have made up the list of lettering below. any corrections will be greatly appreciated.

Upper Left of panel

Fuel

Courtesy lights

?? trim Tabs??

Nav Lights. up
off
down

salt water wash down

Horn

right side:
Nav
Com