• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Storage

jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

Storage

Post by jpwrist »

Hi,

Just purchased my Albin (2001 28' Gatsby Edition) and will use it for cruising. With that in mind, I am looking to increase the dry storage capacitiy. Is it possible to convert the compartments below the deck and next to the engine box to dry storage? Ditto for the three compartments on the transom? Note, I'm not much of a fisherman and don't expect to use any of the transom compartments for bait wells.

Jos
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Storage

Post by DougSea »

jpwrist wrote:Hi,

Just purchased my Albin (2001 28' Gatsby Edition) and will use it for cruising. With that in mind, I am looking to increase the dry storage capacitiy. Is it possible to convert the compartments below the deck and next to the engine box to dry storage? Ditto for the three compartments on the transom? Note, I'm not much of a fisherman and don't expect to use any of the transom compartments for bait wells.

Jos
Hi Jos,

On my 28TE (a 1997) I have lift out storage boxes that drop in to the two in deck wells. They appear to be factory items. If you don't have these I'd ask Albin if they're available. When I was shopping for the boat I looked at a 1996 model which had a very different layout and the owner had had storage partitions built into it - I think it's one of the 'charms' of the Albins that different years of the same boat seem to have parts that are occasionally very different - the access to the hot water heater in the 96 is also different much different from mine.

Back to your storage question - the in-deck bins have never gotten wet, just be sure to keep the gutter drains clean. The transom boxes would need to be gasketed somehow, this might prove a bit more challenging! I'll see if I have any pictures of my deck boxes and will post them for you.

(And congratulations on your new boat!)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jpwrist
First Mate
First Mate

Storage

Post by jpwrist »

Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I also have the lift-out storarge boxes on each side of the engine. However, they do collect water when it rains. I'll check to make sure that the drains are free.

I am still interested in any ideas on the transom compartments, but recognize that keeping these dry was not in the original design and thus, dryness may not be possible.

Jos
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Back when I was selling these boats, I had a customer that wanted the fish boxes in the transom to be watertight. Albin put some channels around the hatches, but they didn't really work.

I keep things that don't mind getting wet occasionally in them. Deck chairs, fenders, buckets and so forth. I also keep them propped open a little bit when the boat is in the slip by putting the rubber stopper under the corner of the hatch. That keeps the mildew down

However, here's the best use for them.

Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Oh yea...... :D
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Just a side comment here:

On our 36 ET, I was amazed to find that the underseat lockers on the flybridge are not watertight. In fact, they made ZERO attempt to make them watertight. I've never seen a boat before where the lockers exposed to rain are not fitted with scuppers and gaskets around the lid. I just don't understand why Albin would cut corners in this way. We only store things that "don't mind getting wet", but with the amount of rain we get here in the winter, anything you put in there gets moldy in the winter. I've got a lot of cleaning to do in the spring, and I'm not happy about it.
tomcat rio

what about just finding some...

Post by tomcat rio »

...'rubbermaid' containers that fit into the compartments. with their covers on, they should keep water out. i found some just right sized ones at my local home depot.
work okay for me... don't cost much.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”