• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

hi all from the blue heron

dtmartin82
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Edgewater, Md

Post by dtmartin82 »

We purchased our lady in Dec. a 31TE and she arrived in January. After spending time at the marina and getting issues worked out, we are finally getting to run her here in the Chesapeake Bay. OUr first trip out this past weekend up the Chester River and overnited....What a great boat these albins are. We were looking at 28's and decided that this was the boat we wanted. Now to just run the kinks out...but are looking forward to running south from Md. on the ICW when we are able to retire. Just a few more years and we should know her inside out til then.

Thanks for all the info that everyone shares here. We are glad to join such a great group.

Tom & Deb :D
bringing her home....jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: hi all from the blue heron

Post by jcollins »

Tom and Deb,
Welcome to AOG. It's always good to see a fellow Chesapeake boater around. BTW...I saw your post in the maintenance forum, about smoke in the cabin. That's a new one for me. I hope you get some thoughts from other members.

Thanks for joining.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Post by bccanucker »

Greetings welcome and Hi from the other Blue Heron
Blue Heron Jonah two.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
dtmartin82
Mate
Mate

Post by dtmartin82 »

Thanks for the warm welcomes...and Roy, I am a big heron fan...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Was the Blue Heron from Essex Island Marina, CT
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
dtmartin82
Mate
Mate

Post by dtmartin82 »

Yes I believe it was as Essex was the home port. We picked up through a broker in Stamford and it was brought down from a marina in Essex. Small world, you prob know the boat and it's original owner. But you can tell him to rest assured, we gave her a good home...:)
We are still working out the kinks but the major work has been done (I believe)..and she is running great other then the blowby that we are trying to figure out...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

I do remember her being in need of a good hull shine
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Whenever I am traveling and come across an Albin I always take a shot of the transom. I checked my archives, here's Blue Heron in Essex, taken 08/2008. Was the hull shine restored?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

dtmartin82
Mate
Mate

Post by dtmartin82 »

That is most def her and she did have a "dull hull". We worked on her this spring while she was being repaired at the marina....We compounded, cleaned and waxed...I think because of the condition her hull was in, it is going to take another round+. We didn't want to get into the gelcoat to deep and we are new to the compounding. We have always kept our boats waxed so the hull was never an issue. I think next year we are going to try and have a proffessional work on her. The guy who repaired the skeg for us told us they can put a hard coat on her (kind of like a clear coat but wont peel or yellow)..I forget what he called it, so we are hoping that we are able to get that done. He had two boats at the marina, one was done 10 yrs ago...the blue shone like a fresh wax job. Am attaching what her transom looks like at this time...
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Congratulations from another 31TE owner.We will be able to share info as time goes along.We just had our hull soda blasted today.I won't be able to check it out untill Saturday when I go to work on her for the weekend.
All the best from Bob & Val 2000 31 TE
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome. I join all the fine Albin owner's in wishing you a great boat experience with the 31'. They are really fine and great boats. We will look forward to your boating reports.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35TE Sportfisher/Conv.
Anacortes, Wa.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

dtmartin82 wrote:The guy who repaired the skeg for us told us they can put a hard coat on her (kind of like a clear coat but wont peel or yellow)..I forget what he called it, so we are hoping that we are able to get that done. He had two boats at the marina, one was done 10 yrs ago...the blue shone like a fresh wax job. Am attaching what her transom looks like at this time...
Looking good, on the right track for sure. I was at Essex a few years in a row and always walked over to Blue Heron and thought she needs a new fussy owner from AOG!.

Careful with "coatings" I have heard of some negative experiences. My blue was neglected too, and she has come back nicely with compound/polish/wax, gets better every season . In the beginning I was using 3M extra cut and finesse it. The last 2 seasons was this 3M compound, and then polish and wax.
3M Compound.jpg
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... 8ZXVX8T6bl

The results speak for themselves. She's a 2000, mine since '07
2012-04-04_12-36-15_258.jpg
Our hull and lettering colors are nearly identical
2012-04-03_10-33-52_824.jpg
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Welcome aboard and I love the 31TE.

Compunding and waxing is all part of the Albin colored hull. Doing it yourself sure is a great way to get to know her. Like Rob I've been using heavy cut since the dealer buffing in 2004. This is season eight with that routine / 1/2 way done and will finish up this weekend. Threatening to paint below the rub rail for 2014. Nothing like planning. :roll: Maybe I'll try the high gloss compound for 2013 .......
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dtmartin82
Mate
Mate

Post by dtmartin82 »

Wow thanks for the info everyone and the warm welcomes. I think we found ourselves a new "home". We also used the 3M product but it was just a compound. Not what you show pictured Rob. By the way, your hull looks beautiful...maybe we'll be there in a few more seasons, I think we'll try that when we pull her this winter/spring. She is an 02 and we are really looking forward to running her, I just hope we can get that beauty to shine like she should. I love the colord hulls, even if they are more "work" especially in this salty water. We have always had white bottom boats, smaller, easier to work with, but this is a challenge we are looking forward to.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Tom and Deb,

A belated welcome and congratulations! She's a beauty!

I just bit the bullet and paid a pro to wet-sand and compound the blue hull on Sonny IV. I had done a "heavy cut" compound job last year and it made a big difference. But the wet-sand was WAY better! She looks nearly new. I'd highly recommend it. Cost in CT was $21/ft and included all prep, the sanding, and then paste wax.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”