• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Peninsular 300hp Prop

gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Doug

Here are my numbers (hope this helps). I picked this off my survey report.
(Resolution is a 1994 28TE with 300 Cu Inch, 280 HP Turbo Charged Peninsular)

Prop: 3 bladed Nibral, 18 LH 17 with cup
Max rpm: 3600

Reduction Gear/Coupling: Hurth HSW 630V - 1.6
Ratio: 1.57:1

___

Anyway, from a no tech point of view, at the max rpm of 3600 I get about 22 mph from the GPS with full tank and little chop.
I have noticed my speed drops as the water temp rises. I guess it runs better in cooler temps.

I got my prop tuned this winter at the tune of $123.83!
(First of a number of maintenence jobs she'll get this winter)

At the beginning of spring when she's back in, I will post my new numbers.

Gery
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thanks Gery,

Looks like there's a good number of us with the same engine/tranny/prop setup. (Well, almost the same, you've got the 18x17 and appear to be the only one turning proper RPMs!)

I'll be calling my prop tuner tomorrow with the info from all the guys here, hope he can find my missing revs.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Update:

First - thanks VERY much to the guys who provided reference numbers (prop, trans, rpms) they were quite helpful.

I spoke with my prop tuner the other day - he said that while my prop had started it's life as an 18 x 18 it had been worked on and was now a 18 x 19. That would help explain the drop of 200 rpms or so. He also said that whoever had worked on it (and he had a pretty good idea who - I guess prop tuners are a small community) had done a decent job but he'd be able to really smooth out any vibrations AND back it down to an 18 x 17. So for about $198 I should get my precious RPMs back and have an "ISO-484 Class I" propeller - very cool.

I'll try and remember to come back with a final update once she's back in the water - that's going to be a while from now...
Doug
Sonny IV
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Just got my prop back from the shop. I was trying to make arrangements to pick it up but the shop's closed on the weekend and I travel all week. The owner (Chuck Gray) arranged to meet me at a highway rest stop on I-84 in New York and deliver my prop to me on my drive home. Nice!

I took some pictures of my newly re-pitched and balanced prop. I also have a detailed before and after report which I scanned but have been unable to convert to a BMP or a JPEG so I can't share it with you guys. I've got the images in a word doc so if someone out there would like to check it out just PM me and I'll send it to you. As mentioned in a previous post my prop, which had started life as an 18x17 had somehow (poor repairs jobs??) morphed into a poorly balanced 18x19. It's been returned to it's proper pitch and each blade is now consistent from hub to tip. I CANNOT wait to get this thing back on the boat and into the water! :lol:

Here are a few pictures. Please note that it spent the whole weekend on the kitchen table and my wife never complained! There's a link to the description pages from the Prop Scan company at the bottom. It's run as a franchise business so there's probably a shop using this technology somewhere near you. I'll report on my results once I hit the water.

Isn't it purdy!

http://www.props.com.au/inspection_system/default.htm
Doug
Sonny IV
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Doug, thaks for the link, I checked out their web site and I am going to contact them today. Thanks! Denis

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”