• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Exhaust Elbow

Ray Whitney

Exhaust Elbow

Post by Ray Whitney »

Had to have a new exhaust elbow manufactured for our 31 TE 1997, 450 Cummins diesel. The old one cracked twice around the mounting flange. The newer exhaust elbows have the raw water input moved to the back side of the elbow to keep water from running back into the turbo. I had the orginial maker of the elbow, Marine Manifold Corp in Farmingdale NY make the new one. They were a real pleasure to work with. The cost $900.00 I thought was not bad, the new one is fiber glass wrapped made of stainless steel, the old was made of copper. The cost included shipping to Florida. Highly recommend this company.

Ray
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I feel your pain. I have not the foggest idea on what your Cummins elbow looks like but I, like many of the Yanmar engine owners have or soon will have to replace this elbow and or matching exhaust mixer. I think, due to poor quality of materials, this elbow on the Yanmars makes it about 5 years, give or take a year or so. There is virtualy no water that contacts this point in the exhaust, however the elbow snaps clean at the junction with the exhaust mixer. The replacment parts were over $1200.00 for OEM parts....on line stainless steel parts were closer to $2500.00. I wonder if this company makes similar parts for the Yanmar engines....may be worth a look.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Ray Whitney

Exhaust Elbow

Post by Ray Whitney »

You might give them a call 631-694-0714, Paul is the owner of the company and the man to deal with. They even repaired my old elbow and shipped it back to me, to keep as a spare. I have yet to receive a bill for that.

Ray
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Excuse the question from someone that just doesn't know. Is this something you visually inspect? What am I looking for? Rust, water, cracks?

Thanks,
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Ray Whitney

Exhaust Elbow

Post by Ray Whitney »

Mine was leaking water next to the flange were it connects to the turbo. At first I noticed dirty water dripping on the rear motor mount, it would only happen after a long run, I had a hard time finding the source of the drip, it was just a small crack in the weld. After time the crack got big enough I knew the problem had to be fixed. The first time I had it welded and it cracked again. it was made of copper, the new one is stainless steel and I doubt it will crack.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

John, On the Yanmars there is nothing to see. In fact I had a Yanmar Service Center check mine and they said it look ok and it broke clean off in two months. The Yanmar's are cast "pot" metal. There is no warning, nothing to see...one minute it's fine the next you're running your exhaust and cooling water into the engine compartment. They recommend that you replace it every 5 years. Mine made it 6. I would highly recommend that all the Yanmar folks change it out on time. Not sure on the Penn. engines.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”