• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Steel Hers New Bimini - Now the Enclosure

Chris & Dale

Steel Hers New Bimini - Now the Enclosure

Post by Chris & Dale »

In the quest to have Steel Hers serve 2 Masters (Fishing & Cruising or Steel & Hers) we've begun the process of installing a full aft enclosure with the bimini shown below. The material is Stamoid for it's durability and appearance, much preferred by us over sunbrella, and we chose the rigid bracing for cruising so we could have it up or roll it up & back w/a boot. The curtains are under construction as we speak and should be installed by the end of this coming week.
New Bimini.JPG
One key feature had to be the ability to easily remove the bimini when we're going fishing. Our canvas guy installed a "quick disconnect" feature for the rigid frame which involves clicking a button and lifting up the brace (pic included). So all we do is unzip the connection to the pilot house roof, roll it up and put the boot on, hit 4 buttons, lift off, and place it on a pvc rack we installed on our dock box. It couldn't be simpler. We're absolutely tickled w/the results so far.
Bimini Quick Disconnect.JPG
I'll post more pics when the enclosure is installed.
Well, the enclosure is installed and it's perfect, with maximum visibility all around, big doors to go forward, and easily removed.
Full Enclosure.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by Chris & Dale on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Steel Hers New Bimini

Post by jcollins »

I like the pvc rack idea. Storage was an afterthought for me.
Very nice!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Steel Hers New Bimini

Post by RobS »

Easy on/off and storage, 2 of the big obstacles and you've addressed them both, nicely done. I assume the boltrope receptacle atop the gunnel is for the side curtains? Not many other options with the coaming bolsters mounted on the gunnel faces... I see the area above the step has been left clear for obvious reasons
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chris & Dale

Re: Steel Hers New Bimini - Now the Enclosure

Post by Chris & Dale »

Here's the rack I built out of PVC for about $10. Works great, right behind the boat for when we're going fishing.
bimini rack.JPG
bimini rack 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Chris, it's gorgeous! I love the shape of the bimini.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Chris,

When you fold back the bimini, does the frame provide enough lateral rigidity when you're under way? We need to rework our bimini. Side to side whippiness is a problem that we need to resolved.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Nancy:
See my reply to you under the "Bimini Top" post. Our frame arrangement on the Carol Marie is extremely stable both when the Bimini is deployed and when it is stowed.
Come visit.
Carolmarie, 2001, 28TE.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Nancy wrote:Chris,

When you fold back the bimini, does the frame provide enough lateral rigidity when you're under way? We need to rework our bimini. Side to side whippiness is a problem that we need to resolved.
Nancy,

What size tubing is used for your frame? Ours was 1" and was quite stable in even the roughest conditions.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Sorry I missed this activity on my post. Nancy, when it folds back onto itself there are the back braces which hold it pretty rigid. Of course, I've removed the side curtains, then I fold it back onto itself and wrap the bimini top around the frame, and finally put a boot over it. At that point, it's 4 buttons and the whole frame is disconnected and placed on the dock frame. I should be folding it back for removal in the next few weeks for several planned fishing trips and will take pictures. I do believe ours is 1" heavy gage stainless. More to come.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Doug, our frame is 1". Maybe "whippy" is not a good description. The frame itself does not bend. Rather, the entire frame shucks side to side when folded back because of the play in the quick-release fittings at the base of the vertical supports. When the bimini is extended and attached to the pilothouse roof, it is completely stable.

We're going to try some criss-crossed straps for use when the top is folded back and see whether that provides enough stability. Studying photos of other biminis, it's possible that our vertical supports aren't far enough aft.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Nancy,

That makes sense now. The issue as I see it is that you have a mass (the rolled and folded bimini) and a somewhat unstable structure (the frame). As you mentioned your options are to tighten up that frame somehow OR add additional rigidity and bracing. Some kind of diagonal would probably be your best bet, either above head height in an "X' to the back of the pilothouse roof, or some kind of strap from the bend in the frame "corners" to the midpoint of the transom. You could also test out a "stabilizer" system by tying a line around the folded back bimini, say 1' in from the bend, and running it to the stern cleats on the same side. Moving the tie point in closer to the center would make it more stable, but at some point you should hit a comfort level of shakiness vs. blocking access.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Nancy,
My canvas guy is Chris Patterson at Weaver Canvas. I'm sure if you went to his web site and contacted him, with several good pictures and dimensions of your frame in the retracted position, he'd be happy to give you some advice on how to adjust it or shore it up. Tell him I recommended you contact him. Good Luck.

http://weavercanvas.com/support/home.htm
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Doug, great minds think alike - our first attempt will be straps crossed diagonally. We like trying simple solutions first. :shock: There are already eye hooks in place from a previous configuration.

Chris, thanks for the contact information. I may very well call him.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”