• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

leak...

kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

leak...

Post by kjg1951 »

I have a 1994 28T albin.... i have found a bad leak in the quater berth i removed the head liner and it is soaking wet above that. Has anyone got any ideas where the leak may be coming from?? thanks
Kevin G
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: leak...

Post by RobS »

pull the side panel, the one behind (aft of) the sliding pilothouse window, water could be getting behind the panel and then running down through holes drilled for wire runs
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Nobody has had a leak in the quater berth of their Albin 28??? Please it is driving me crazy !!!!! HELP
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Do you investigate my suggestion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Another possibility is a leaky hatch seal. Water will make its way back through the smallest of crevices. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it turner out to be the hatch seal.
There have been other posts re leaky hatches. Suggest you Google search the AOG data base.
Regards........
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Yes i did it was dry Rob
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

Join the crowd I have the same leak and and every time I take some thing apart I look & caulk. I m dwn to thinking pilot house slidiing wondows ? The thing with mine is ,it doesnt leak all the time .
Just one more thing to drive you mad in this boat owning world
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Well I told you about 2 leaks I fixed (the port side panel wire chase & rebedding of a port side the portlight viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6019). Here's 2 more:

1. There was moisture in the headliner above the microwave (under the side deck) this is where I rebedded the port light but I also rebedded the bowrail as it was difficult to figure out which was leaking due to thier close proximity to one another and both were easy to do and cost only the price of the sealant. The cut in the headliner (blue arrow) was not an issue as it was inside the medicine cabinet. However, once I rebedded the bowrail I left the microwave out and the vinyl open to inspect my work was dry and I was still getting water at the vinyl backing but not at the bowrail bolts. Continued moisture mapping led me to the center opening hatch.

2. The center opening hatch was leaking and the water ran along the ceiling down the backside of the vinyl headliner until it made it to the track where this shoebox joint is (red arrows) and then it ran downhill to the aftbunk. I reseated the hatch on a foam rubber gasket obtained from the manufacturer. It's been a couple seasons now, all dry. I knew it was not coming from the rubrail as there were drips coming down from above onto this joint track (green arrows). The problem with the center hatch was that the cutout by Albin was to big in this corner and there was very little contact area between the bottom of the hatch frame and the fiberglass deck. It was originally bedded with sealant adhesive. I called Bomar to see what if there was a gasket available as I wanted to reseat it and monitor it for leaks and be able to easily remove it again in case I needed to build up the overcut radius at the corner. They recommend seating the hatch in a foam rubber gasket, not adhesive sealant. I ordered a role and it was so much easier and cleaner than adhesive sealant. I monitored it for awhile and she is dry.

A pinless moisture meter is invaluable in following water leaks back to the source.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

FYI, the hatch gasket is actually referred to as Mounting Tape (it comes in a roll). The part # is P2000-81.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Post by marko »

For what it's worth...I had a hatch leak in my previous boat (not an Albin) which was brand new at that time. I believe it was a Bomar hatch and looked similar to the one in Rob's photo. "Discovered" the leak while sitting at the table below (new boat, remember) during a rain storm and water dripped out onto the table and cushions. Water collected in the inside plastic trim and spilled out with any rocking. It took two repairs to stop it. Basically found that the screws were never bedded and of course water worked through. I did not remove the hatch, but removed and bedded the screws. I missed two screws that were hidden by the hinges the first time. Could not remove the entire hatch (5200 ?) so I filled any void I could with new caulk. It worked, confirmed by no water infiltrating into the trim which would have been evident because I drilled two small drain holes in the trim interior only. Yes, this repair should have been done by the dealer, but he was two hours away and new boat warranty work was at his location, or I could pay his travel time!
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Ron
They do not sell the mounting tape as it has been discontinued... any other ideas that might be used in its place?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

kjg1951 wrote:Ron
They do not sell the mounting tape as it has been discontinued... any other ideas that might be used in its place?
That stinks. Did you try Defender? If you cannot get it anywhere, try a 3/4" wide foam compressable weather stripping type product. Self adhesive will make installing easier. Be sure it can be almost completely compressed.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Go to the local glazing shop and ask for a roll of butyl tape.It is used for bedding the glass units into the frames .It is for the same use you want it for.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kjg1951 »

Ron
I checked Defender and they have a number of gaskets,, any chance you would have a pic of the one you used?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

kjg1951 wrote:Ron
I checked Defender and they have a number of gaskets,, any chance you would have a pic of the one you used?
I do not but this is it http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=834176

(BTW, it's Rob, not Ron)
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”