• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Fish finder transducer location

jgolm

Fish finder transducer location

Post by jgolm »

I presently heve two thru-hull transducers on my Albin 28TE 2005 and neither work at cruise 16-18kts. They are both Raymarine, one is just for depth and the other is connected to a new Raymayine digital finder. They work at 12kts. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Jim Golm
med2alfa

transducer location

Post by med2alfa »

I'm no expert here, but what experience I do have is this: 1) If the boats bow angle increases to a point where the returning transducer signal cannot be read, you will lose the signal. 2) If the location of the transducer is in a flow of aeriated water you will lose the return signal as well. I have also had intermittent signal return at slower speeds and complete loss at higher speeds when the face of the transducer is covered in marine growth. Cleaning the transducer cleared up this problem.
My experience has been with transom mounted transducers.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I also have two transducers, one is a new Raymarine and the other is a older Tridata. They are both located just aft of the helm seat in the center compartment. One is on the port side of the "v" beam of the boat and the other is on the starboard side. The Raymarine experiences turbulance at about 14 kts. and is useless at that speed. The tridate will read depth and speed up to 26.8 MPH without fail as long as the paddle wheel is working properly....when the wheel is fouled I only get the depth reading.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

The problem is likely turbulence. I have a transducer like this

http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2 ... &PageNo=65

and have never lost the signal. I have it mounted in the lifting strake aft of the helm. Mounting in the lifting strake makes it vertical.

Every big hockey puck type transducer I've had lost signal at speed, even with flaring blocks.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

My experience has been that transom mounted transducers are the least likely to suffer from aeration at high speeds. Ideally, thru-hull transducers should be mounted as far aft as possible but forward of the propeller. If you can't put it forward of the prop, it should be well to the side, out of hte prop's turbulence.
todd@dannayachts.com

Transducer

Post by todd@dannayachts.com »

Hi!

Where exactly on the hull are they located and how long are they? How are they mounted inside the boat?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”