• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Window defroster and remote Spotlight location questions

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Window defroster and remote Spotlight location questions

Post by mhanna »

I should be taking delivery of my new (used 2001) Albin 28 next week and have questions about 2 possible add-ons (probably dozens by later next week! ).
Anyway on my old boat I had the remote spotlight out on the pulpit this way there was almost no glare from the SS railings and deck, but with the Albin and the pulpit design it looks like this is impossible. I have looked at many pictures on the net and see many with the lights on the top front of the hardtop. I have seen one where the mounted it on a plate on the bow-railing but I think it would block visibility so I do not like that idea. Sooo I guess the question goes out,,, Is it usable on the hardtop with the glare ???
Also I used to have a problem with my pilothouse windows fogging up at night but the windows where so close I could see my breath doing it. I rainx'd the heck out of em to keep it as clear as possible and several night ran home with the window popped up so I can see. With the Albin the windows must be ~2.5ft if not more away from me and they do not open. Question is do they fog and if so has anyone used a defogger, spray, ect to help out with this ?

I have been reading this board for months while shopping for a new boat, I might have looked at another boat simply because of the lack of information on the Albins in general so I would like to say THANKS to Jack Collins and everyone else who keeps this up and running.

Looking forward to hearing any comments.... thanks again.

Matt
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Matt,
Congratulations on the new boat! Time for a burgee?
Take a look at this thread by Mariner re: windows fogging.
viewtopic.php?t=521&highlight=fans
I think he has some pictures. Send him a note.

As far as the spotlight, since I don't have a hardtop, mine is mounted on the top of the radar arch. This is what I have noticed. If I point it down it shines into the canvas. Up a little and it glares off the bow rail. Up a little more and it's o.k. I guess it's good for about 50 feet in front of the boat. Since I seldom use it, I don't really think about it. I use it to look for bouys, markers, etc. but never leave it on for more than a couple of seconds. It takes too long to recover my "night vision". This could be the start of a whole thread about boaters that run with these lights on.
I was coming into my creek one night and an oncoming boater had his "headlight" on. I called him on the radio and told him it was blinding me and to shut it off. His reply? "What are you talking about? What do think headlights are for"? I just shut down to idle speed until he passed, muttered a few words, and then went on.
I do have a hand-held that plugs into the cigarette lighter. That still works best because I can control it better. I have never had a spotlight on other boats. Never missed it or thought about installing one.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
tomcat rio

night vision...

Post by tomcat rio »

pretty sure you can preserve your night vision if you put a red filter on the spot light.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I use a Anti Fog that I bought at my local gun shop for the inside of my windows...never fogs up. As for the spot light, I have one mounted dead center on the front of my roof, it's a remote and is pretty useless for me. There is a lot of glare if the light gets down anywhere near the bow of the boat, but moreoverly for me I just can't seem to get the hang of using the remote. I've sat tied up at my dock and used it over and over, but when I get out on the water and try to find a marker, its just impossible. I keep two hand helds on the boat, one a primary and one large waterproof dive light. I just stick the light out the side window and have way more control. Much eaiser to keep it off the deck so I don't get glare. I do know lots of folks who mounted lights on the bow or on a piece of starboard in the pulpit of the bow and have no trouble with glare.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

The unit I have now has a spot and flood mode with a joystick, it has worked well especially when pulling in a narrow canal (too close for radar help). I have only used it for quick sweeps for a few seconds at a time and having it on the pulpit completely eliminates any glare.
It sounds like having it on the hardtop does have issues. Great feedback, now I am thinking of possibly building a bracket over the rope-chain area on the pulpit and mounting it there. I need to see exactly how far back the anchor comes in ect...Hmmm
Well I will tinker around with this and if I make anything work I will post back.

Also looks like I may wish to install one of those blower units, but not until I see the fogging happening, its nice to have options....

Matt
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

For the window fogging, the best solution is airflow. If you can get airflow over the windows, you can keep the fogging to a minimum. I installed four 12 volt cross-flow fans that blow a broad thin layer of air down onto the windows, keeping them free of fog. We had quite a problem with this before, but the fans eliminated it.
jgolm

Spot light

Post by jgolm »

I have found the remote control lights to be too slow . I too prefer to open the starboard window and use a handheld. As for fogging I have not had the problem but agree that ventilation is the best solution.
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I've never had a boat with a built in search light. But in my opinion, a manually controlled, pilothouse mounted unit would be best. You know, kind of like the spotlight on a police car, where the handle sticks through. That's what the commercial guys use.

We've always carried the handheld variety and never used it.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Matt, I have a 28TE that I mounted a remote light on two years ago. I do a lot of night diving so it gets plenty of use. I used starboard to follow the shape of the bow rail above the pulpit. I attached the starboard to the rail using stainless clamps that have a rubber donut around the inside. Then I mounted a remote light on top of that, running the wires down the forward rail support to the deck. I used a waterproof fitting to run the wire into the anchor locker and then into the bow storage areas where the bow thruster motor is. I picked up my 12v from the wire feeding the thruster and then fused it and ran it to the light. This light has a remote control that I keep up at the helm. I think it is a "Go Light" that I bought at Defender. The boat is covered right now but if you need a picture I will try to get one under the cover over the weekend. Denis
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:Matt, I have a 28TE that I mounted a remote light on two years ago. I do a lot of night diving so it gets plenty of use. I used starboard to follow the shape of the bow rail above the pulpit. I attached the starboard to the rail using stainless clamps that have a rubber donut around the inside. Then I mounted a remote light on top of that, running the wires down the forward rail support to the deck. I used a waterproof fitting to run the wire into the anchor locker and then into the bow storage areas where the bow thruster motor is. I picked up my 12v from the wire feeding the thruster and then fused it and ran it to the light. This light has a remote control that I keep up at the helm. I think it is a "Go Light" that I bought at Defender. The boat is covered right now but if you need a picture I will try to get one under the cover over the weekend. Denis
Hey Denis - I'd like to see a picture of that if you get a chance. I've been going back and forth with the idea of a roof or bow mounted light. I know a lot of the guys are proponents of hand held lights but I like the idea of a permanent light that's run off of ships power. Since I'm on a mooring a light that stays on and aimed forward would be useful when coming home on a moonless night. And I have my trusty "Out the window" hand held for spotting buoys and such.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Yes I would like to see a picture if possible. I was already thinking of how to build a "shelf" over the pulpit using starboard, but would like to see all options.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I'll head down to take some pictures this weekend. I agree, a hand held spot light would not do at all for me. Denis
TonyAmalfitano

What about this one?

Post by TonyAmalfitano »

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

I have found out how to post pics... watch out...

Anyway, here is a pic of my old boat and how the light was out on the pulpit. I have not had a chance to play with the new one yet, but will advise.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I took a couple of pictures of my spot light today but Im having trouble loading them from my Kodak folder into photo bucket. This is nothing unusual for me, I'll keep trying.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”