• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shaft bearing housing

Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Shaft bearing housing

Post by Robb »

cutlass housing.jpg
Removed the stern bearing housing yesterday to replace the cutlass bearing and had it fall apart during dis-assembly. The collar that should protrude about 1.5" into the keel is still in the boat while the balance of the unit came off and is in the photo. The metal is pink and looks to have undergone a good deal of de-zincification. I debating on machining a new collar from bronze and pressing in or trying to buy a new unit.

Has anyone else bought a replacement bearing housing? Any idea of a supplier and a ballpark cost?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Shaft bearing housing

Post by Pitou »

Buck Algonquin was/is the supplier for the Albin 28TE Stern Tube bearing housing. It comes complete with Cutlass bearing or Cutlass bearings can be purchased alone.

From Buck's catalog: Albin Bronze Stern Bearing Housings - Oval Flange. All Albin stern castings come complete w/ a shaft bearing and two setscrews installed - Part# m24034

Here is a link to their home page where you will find links to dealers, etc.. On the link to their catalog you will find the housing on the bottom of page 29.

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Robb
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tacoma, WA

Post by Robb »

Talked with Buck Algonquin this morning. Nice folk. They could not sell direct but referred me to a local distributor. Price is $587.35 including a new cutlass bearing, in case anyone is wondering. And yes, while this is a custom Albin casting, they always try and keep one on the shelf.
Robb Stilnovich
"Stella Maris" 1996 28TE #279
Cummins 6BTA-370
Tacoma, WA
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Mine left a little deposit in the skeg hole too but more than enough metal collar left for her to go back into service. Cutlass bearing is a-ok too. I did the bearing back in 07/08, approx 600 hrs ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

When my stern tube was found broken a few years ago my mechanic did not know where to get a replacement and I was not adept at using AOG so he put in a longer cutlass bearing to replace the broken flange with the extra length. It has worked ever since and I am glad to see this post because I suspected him of breaking it in the first place when he removed the drive shaft. The tube was also pink and he said it was not bonded, so it makes sense.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Russell wrote:When my stern tube was found broken a few years ago my mechanic did not know where to get a replacement and I was not adept at using AOG so he put in a longer cutlass bearing to replace the broken flange with the extra length. It has worked ever since and I am glad to see this post because I suspected him of breaking it in the first place when he removed the drive shaft. The tube was also pink and he said it was not bonded, so it makes sense.
Good solution, saved you $600 as I presume the cutlass bearing was getting done anyhow. I wonder if the O.D. of the extra length of the cutlass bearing protruding into the skeg made for an easy snug fit or if some modification to the bearing or skeg hole was required? Either way it should have been fairly close and a good solution it was. I do have the cutoff from when I replaced my bearing and I currently have the housing off so I can actually check that.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Try Hamilton Marine online for a stern tube housing. They sell Buck Algonquin and it might be cheaper.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

I'm having the same problem, they are talking about cutting in the side of the keel to see it, how does the tube attach to this housing. To be clear, the shaft tube that the shaft seal mounts to I assume attaches to this this housing? Does anyone have a diagram?
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

There's been some variation over the years with respect to the stern tube housing construction and attachment. Check out this thread and see if any of it looks familiar: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10274
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
dabeachman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Galena, MD

Post by dabeachman »

I did go there thanks Nancy. I asked the same question no response. Just trying to understand how the shaft tube connects to the bearing housing. If I glass fill keep how would I remove bearing housing in the future.
1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”