• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

steering cylinder bolts

Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

steering cylinder bolts

Post by Merry Kate »

Quick question for a circa 1997 28TE: does anyone know if the 4 bolts securing the foot of the steering cylinder to the hull are just tapped into the fiberglass of the mounting pad, or are there nuts embedded inside the pad? They are 3/16" machine screws (not lag bolts) and would'nt seem to hold much torque if they are just tapped into fiberglass. If so, I will seat them in epoxy when I reinstall.

Thanks
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I'll try and take a look this weekend when I'm working on the boat.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I'm not familiar with this boat, but I'd be willing to be that there are either nuts imbedded in the pad, or, if the underside of the pad is accessible, they are through-bolted, hopefully with a backing plate or large washers.

You ought to be able to tell by removing one of the bolts and looking into the hole if there are threads in there or not.
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Thanks. I figured out there is an aluminum plate glassed under the pad that is tapped for the bolts.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”