• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Air conditioner location & BTU

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Air conditioner location & BTU

Post by mhanna »

I may be adding air to the boat and was wondering about the placement of the unit. I have seen some with the unit mounted under the forward v-birth (right next to the bow thruster motor). While this seems logical because of the intake and return duct locations I figured I would ask if there are any other spots for this. The AC breaker and wires are hanging there to do, but again I figured I would ask.
If I do put it there I will need to build some sort of mounting plate. I am guessing that a horizontal piece of wood fiberglassed to the V might work. Again if anyone has done this or knows how it was done.....
And while I am on the subject are there recommendations on what unit & BTU fits and works in the spot. I have been thinking of a Cabin Mate Rev. Cycle A/C 10,000Btu/hr or Cabin Mate Rev. Cycle A/C 7,000Btu/hr. Again I would like to hear of other units if they seem to work well.

Thanks
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Matt, I have a 10,000 BTU Reverse Cycle AC/heat unit in my 28TE. It was installed as an option when new by Albin. The unit is more than adequate. Currently the unit sends air only to the cabin, but I do plan in the future to install a T or Y and send an additional duct to the wheelhouse as I do have a full enclosure. It is mounted exactly as you have described. I will be happy to snap some shots and post them back here for you to see. The next visit to the boat will be this coming Monday to install the new trolling valve. :D

When not on shorepower I run the unit from the ENTEC genset also installed as an option when new. I will post photos of this as well.

Attached is a link to Ocean Options, I believe Albin gets their AC Reverse Cycle units from them. They are out of RI.
http://www.oceanoptions.com/index.html
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Thanks, I was looking for more options...
I have to ask another question.. how often do you use the heat mode ?

Matt

Good luck on the trolling valve, I know several here are waiting to see how it goes !!
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

I find myself using the reverse cycle heat during some of those early and late season cruises to take the dampness out and warm things up. That's where the genset comes in/options are good. I would have to say the two get used equally as much. Heat during the cool damp days in April,(not this year/not in yet), May, June and October and the AC in June, July and August. Boy, what a short season in New England.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

AC Location

Post by SpaceCoaster »

Matt,

I'm nost sure if you've done the AC project as of yet, but I'll chime in just in case.

In a previous post I'd mentioned that I'd replaced my AC unit. The original was located under the berth just as you mention in your original post. I find that location to work out just fine. The compressor makes a little noise, but it isn't enough to wake us when it kicks on. I didn't need a mounting plate as there was already a platform in that area where the unit fit nicely. The model I installed was a Mermaid model rated at 5200 BTU (http://mermaidmarineair.com). I've used it a handful of times even in the dead of summer here in FL and it cooled the cabin of our 28 just fine. I've only used the heat a couple of times but that work fine also. At the time the unit cost me around $1500 and I was able to replace it myself w/o any problems.

I believe I have some pictures of the installation on our laptop at home. If you are interested I'd be happy to track those down and post them for you.

Good luck. Jorge
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Our boat (36' ET) has two Anchor reverse cycle AC units installed beneath the main salon. With our colder climate, we primarily use them only for heat in the winter. We also have a diesel heater. We generally use the diesel heater when underway, and the AC when connected to shorepower. We do this just to save fuel and make sure the AC gets run, and doesn't suffer from lack of use.

In the summer up here, it's rarely hot enough to need the cooling cycle of the AC. Never when underway. I've used it a few times when at anchor and when connected to shorepower. It's nice to have, but not necessary.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Mhanna,
Below is a pic of the AC unit next to the bow thruster. A plywood platform is glassed onto the forward part of the starbord stringer and the forward part of the platform is glassed to the bow. All of the AC equipment is set in a stainless pan screwed to the platform. Pretty serviceable and easy to get in and out. I hope this helps.

Bow Thruster / lower left of photo

Seawater strainer and pump under hatch in wheel house. AC strainer/aft genset strainer forward.
[/img]Image
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mhanna »

Thanks alot for all of the replies. I see my biggest challenge will be to install the platform for the unit under the V birth.
Pitou, thanks for the pictures it looks like there still is some space in there even with the unit in place.
I guess I will have to get a unit first to check where to put the platform. I was thinking of calling Albin and asking them for the template they use but it may not work for every unit.
As soon as I get something going I will post information or pictures.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”