• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My first run

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

My first run

Post by mhanna »

So after months of looking at these boats and researching, ect I bought my 2001 28TE in Febuary (and lots of thanks to this board and its members). Yesterday was splash day and I took it out for a 20min run just to feel it out. Good thing I did not do my writeup last night becouse I was somewhat concerned about the way it handled.
I was so used to a smaller lighter more agel boat and well this thing drove like a large truck compaired to a fast car. I said what did I do.....

So today I took it out for a longer run and tested out all the features. Every minute that went by had me liking my choice more and more. It was just getting used to a new way to use this boat. As Ric said (Phoenix) this is a heavy boat, it does not start, stop or turn on a dime, and you know what.... Now that Im somewhat used to it, I like this much more. Its such a change from a run-about... a good one.

My marina is somewhat thin on the water and when backing in wow did that bow thruster do its job. Even though the skeg was in some muck it spun the boat right where I needed it to be (I dont like the idea of sucking up mud, but thats another story).
The Yanmar with its 4 bladed (I think 19x19) prop did a great job of getting this boat up and going. 3000RPM=15.5kts, 3200=19.5 and wide open at 3800 got me to 24.5kts not too shabby for a 6cyl..
:D
Just touch the trim tabs and the boat responded.

Will put more info in later, just had to say that if someone wants speed and jumping wakes go find something else, if you want steady and solid, then this was a great choice...

Thanks for listening.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Volvo

Post by RicM »

Years ago a girlfriend of mine's parents bought her a Volvo sedan. The first time I got into it and drove I totally didn't get it. The seat was hard. The ride was not as smooth as I expected. My first reaction was what's this? This is not so great!. After driving it occaisionally for 2-3 months I realized what the car was all about. The "hard" seat held you securely in place when in corners. The "stiff" ride made the car move in a way that would help you avoid accidents. After some time I realized that this was a great car, but it would never sell to the majority of Americans because when you sit down in it at the dealership it didn't feel like it was worth the money, it was only after 20 drives that you "got it". Albins are a lot like that. Sea Rays look great, and on totally flat water they go fast, look cool, and seem very luxurius. The first time you get into a nasty sea situation they don't seem so special.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I found it interesting that you compared it to a truck;

I drive a Suburban. Tons of room for all my stuff (and I've got a lot of stuff!) four wheel drive, well mannered on the highway, leather seats (heated!), very comfortable and makes me feel safe no matter what the weather's doing - but NOT a sports car.

My Albin - same thing!

I have been out on the Sound in weather that would have you fearing for your life in a little runabout (like that sports car on a snowy day) - cruising along like it was nothing. This is a BOAT!

Every day you go out you're going to like it more and more. And yes, there will be times when your friends with the Sea Rays go blasting by - but when it turns to crap they're all going to wish they were with you! You won't ever get there as fast, but you'll be comfortable and relaxed.

And did I mention - it looks damn nice too!! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Im glad it wasn't just me, I bought a Yukon 2 years ago and in the first few days I said wow it this wide, Im never going to get through traffic. But now... I dont want to go back to a car, height, safty, room (dont mention the gas part though :? ). I guess the same thing is happening.

I installed autopilot and it graphically lets me see the rudder angle. While first driving I knoticed the rudder angle (to go straight) was about 5-7 degrees off center. I figured it was that I set it up wrong. But then coming home (with the wind) I saw it was right on (ie.. going straight was dead center). I turned around into the 1/4 wind and without thinking adjusted the tabs and needed to turn the wheel to make up for a dragging tab. I guess it makes sence, with one tab down more than the other it tries to turn the boat and you need a little rudder to make up for it ? I would never have noticed if I did not have the rudder indicator, not a big deal but just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

And Doug the "it looks damn nice" part is no joke. there are at least 2 dozen boats in the marina, searays, ect.... but when I backed in everyone came over to ask questions and say how much they liked the way it looked, they wanted to come on and check it out. Even guys coming from bigger boats.
I will post a pic or 2 today.
Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Yes, having one tab down will produce drag which needs to be compensate for on the wheel. Take note that these two forces reduce yoru speed and efficiency. But by leveling the boat out and improving it's planing performance, it may make up for it. I suggest you take the time to run through the rpm range and compare fuel consumption, rpm, and speed upwind, downwind and with and without the tabs. I developed an excel graph for various conditions that I keep at the helm. That way I know, at a given speed and conditions, if I'm better off with them or without them.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

That is the EXACT feeling I had when I took my Albin 28 out on her sea trials....I was coming off a 22 Sport boat that would run 54 mph and the Albin felt like I was trying to drive a tank through mud. After about an hour of hogging I started getting use to the feel.....and the speed. The more I ran her the better it felt and the more I knew I had make a great choice for a boat. I only use the trim tabs to keep her level if I have heavy weights on board moving around. The boat is at max speed and excellent plane when the tabs are fully up. After three years, the only thing I still don't like is the steering to the right. There is a post somewhere about altering the size of the rudder which seems to help. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who's first impression was that I was moving from a Corvette to something not quite what I was use to.

But let me add, I've been in some pretty rough seas and winds and I would have NOT wanted to be in any other boat of comparable size.
Last edited by chiefrcd on Thu May 10, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Comparisons

Post by RicM »

I took a potential buyer out on my old ProLine 251 Walk for a sea trial Sunday and now it feels like a toy to me. Yeah it will go 26 kts, but it's like riding a bucking horse. It was pounding in a 2 foot chop like I couldn't believe. When you went into a turn and the wind crossed the bow it felt like the whole thing was going over. Don't get me wrong, the Proline was a great first boat, and got my wife into fishing and all, but there's no way I could go back now.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Congrats Matt

The 28 Albin definately drives very different than other boats. You will eventually get used to it's handling characteristics and learn to love the advantages of having a full skeg keel.
While other boats will be at the whims of the wind and waves, you will have so much more confidence being out there if the going gets tough.

While others are at the fuel dock, you will be enjoying the fuel efficiency inherent to this boat and smile knowing you made the right decision on buying this boat.

Enjoy, and I will definately keeping an eye out for you this summer! :D

Gery Garcia

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”