• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Best anchor for TE28... Size/Type?

kyramarin

Best anchor for TE28... Size/Type?

Post by kyramarin »

I need to choose an anchor for our TE28 and was hoping to get advice from some current owners...

Been leaning towards a Delta Plow 14lb. or possible a 22lb. Delta, but the 22lb. appears like it may be too big.

I've used Danforth type anchors in the past with good results, but on a much lighter boat with less profile.

We're in Southern California - anchoring mostly in sandy, shallow (15-30 feet) basins for overnighters and while fishing/spearing off the local kelp beds (80-100 feet) in sandy or slightly rocky bottoms.

Most anchor manufacturers make size recommendations based on the length of boat... should I move up a notch as Albins are usually a bit heavier than the ave boat?

Thanks!
Chad
'Kyra Marin'
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I originally purchased a 22 lb Delta but it would not fit through the loop in my bow roller so I dropped to a 14lb which is advertised to hold up to a 31ft boat. So far the 14 lb Delta has worked fine but I have not had my 28TE long enough to test it in really bad weather. There is an earlier string on anchors that you might find helpful.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I love my Delta 14 and use it daily when fishing. I would however recommend that you check with the locals and see what hold best in the bottom areas where you anchor. I'm usually in mud/sand with little or no vegetation or rock.... I also use about 30' of chain which really makes a difference.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fortress

Post by SpaceCoaster »

I use a Fortress FX-16 which is oversized for the 28TE but we raft quite a bit and usually have one or two other boats hanging on the same hook. Before the FX-16 I would drag anchor whenever wind kicked up a little.

The fortress is the best anchor I've used for this area (Central FL). It holds like a momma and is super-light to boot. As Chief mentioned, I recommend you check w/the locals to see if anyone's had experience w/the various anchors. I think local conditions have a lot to do with how the anchor will perform.
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Local conditions are the largest determining factor when it comes to anchor selection. Up here, Bruce and plow anchors are the most functional, given our deep waters, confined anchorages, and muddy bottoms.

However, based on what you're saying, a danforth style anchor might make a lot of sense. They are great in sand. They need a lot of scope to hold properly, but if you're anchoring in shallow water, that's usually doable. They are immensely popular in Florida and along the gulf coast, as well as among the river boating set. Fortress anchors are excellent lightweight versions of this venerable design. They hold very well when set, but if they come loose, you may as well be dragging a block of styrofoam.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

When I bought my 28 Albin, I purchased a 22lb Delta for her. I wrote to the company that made the anchor to make sure it was not too large for the boat and they assured me it would work perfectly. I made a taller hoop on the anchor roller so that it would accomodate the larger Delta. I also attached 30' of chain and away I went. I have dragged anchor in the past with a Danforth and I did not want to experience that again. So far this anchor has worked perfectly for me. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I run the 22 lb. Delta with 30 ft. of chain as well. Pretty much sandy bottoms my way with a bit of rock. She hasn't failed me yet.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

There is no such thing an an anchor that is too big for a boat. There are just anchors that are too big for the windlass or crew.

I have an 11# claw on my 13' Boston Whaler. It would ride out a hurricane on that thing.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I was just a little worried that the boat would not pull hard enough on the anchor to properly set it. It sounds foolish when I say it but it made sense at the time.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Mike Loper
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Post by Mike Loper »

Hi Chad...originally I also purchased a 22lb. Delta but also found it wouldn't fit through the loop in the bow roller assy. I now have a 14 lb. Delta. If this is the Chad I've met here in San Diego, you've seen the setup. The 14 lb. Delta I have works well for me.
Bluefin
2005 28TE
Volvo D6-310
Flush Deck
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Being new to anchoring the 28 I used my older 14lb Delta and assumed it was enough. Im sure it would work in the bay, but this past weekend I was fishing FI inlet and had to reset 4 times because the 14lb was dragging.
I think it was set ok, there is only a sandy bottom, but the 4-5 knot current was enough to let it drag. It never broke free, I just kept drifting back (I have 20ft of chain and had a fair amount of line out)
I know they say the 14lb is good for a 31ft boat but I am now going to upgrade to something else. I will have to see about making a new loop for the pulpit for the delta 22 or try the old danforth.
On another note, I dont remember where I was reading it but do I need to put the boat in-gear when doing this to keep the shaft from spinning and burning ? This would put even more strain on the anchor...

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”