• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cutlass bearing

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Cutlass bearing

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So I need a new cutlass bearing for my new to me 28te. Does anyone know of a source or what size I need? I did a search and came up with Buck Algonquin as a source but they only list the housing online. I may end up needing the whole thing based on some posts her but im gonna try for just a bearing. Is it a matter of just pulling the two bolts then pulling the housing off? Or does it need to be unthreaded?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Cutlass bearing

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So best I can tell I need a 2in OD, 1.5in ID, and 6in long is that right? Anyone have a good source?
gerber30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fort Pierce, FL

Post by gerber30 »

They are readily available online. My 1997 28TE took the "Boss" model which is 1.5" shaft, 6" long and OD of 2" Here is a link to Deep Blue, but there any many suppliers out there. Good luck! http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/mari ... s-bearings
2004 31 TE w/ twin 370 Cummins (current)

Previous Boat
'97 28 TE w/2005 Yanmar
"Marianne"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

just had mine pressed in at a machine shop. cut the six inch bearing down an inch so as not to block the water ports in the housing. very important!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

special k wrote:just had mine pressed in at a machine shop. cut the six inch bearing down an inch so as not to block the water ports in the housing. very important!
Good to know!! Did not see I had to do that. Thanks! Any trick to it or just cut it off clean?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

You can just drill the water ports
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Cool. Looks like a 1/2" hole based on the schematic drawing of the housing
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Cool. Looks like a 1/2" hole based on the schematic drawing of the housing
Don't pre-drill the bearing. Once the new bearing is pressed into the housing just match up the bit size to the hole in the housing and drill from the outside in maintaining the same direction for a smooth flow. Remove any of the rubber material the bit may leave behind. Obviously this is done BEFORE you reinstall on the boat and slide the shaft through..... :wink:
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im glad that the right way to do it cuz I was gonna be lazy and do it that way:p
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Put a properly sized wood dowel in the bearing and drill into the wood. That will help the rubber cut cleanly. Otherwise work the drill in and out a bunch of times to try to clean out the rubber.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Merrick, NY

Post by LISal »

Does anyone know the cost to have this done? I am not a mechanic and just bought the boat. probably should start getting familiar with it but this sound like its way out of my comfort range. I am going to mechanics now. I will post my findings. I know its supposed to be an easy job, at least that is what the surveyor said..
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

My mechanic say it is easy and is going to remove the unit from the boat were it currently stands. he will make repair at his shop and replace. The price of bearing sounds nil. it will be all labor and that's going to vary from mechanic to mechanic but I will let you guys know what my cost was. I am not closing on the vessel for another week I am guessing and wont have him do the work till I close.
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

Looks like I may not need the bearing :) does anyone know how much play should be in the prop shaft if any? when i pull on it there is some play back and forth. you can even hear i slight click as you go back and forth. I have to speak with the yard that has been doing work and have my mechanic inspect before i will know for sure but any info is always greatly appreciated.. I am feeling surveyor may have got this one wrong especially after finding out shaft was pulled last year. Boat yard has inspected and i will also speak to them this week to get clarification.
LISal
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LISal »

spoke to mechanic and he states that when dry and cold out like it is the only way to determine is upon visual inspection. I have to go look for flat spots or cracks with a flash light. I understand that this was pulled last season and am inclined to believe it was inspected. find out soon keep ya posted

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”