• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Anchor for 28te

Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Anchor for 28te

Post by Pedro »

I've had my 28te for two seasons, no overnights on the hook,(mooring or dock), I have a 14lb danforth 20' chain Holds the bottom fine for fishing and beach hopping, Is a larger anchor really needed for overnights?Not sure a windlass with its installed costs,($3000 probably) is in the budget,what's the largest anchor anybody is using for overnight and hauling by hand,
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Re: Anchor for 28te

Post by Jack »

I use the same anchor as you and I don't trust it for overnights because of dragging. It has held a few times when I went to a boat show by water but I let out extra scope and weighted the anchor line. If you get a winch you will need a SQR type of heavier anchor tilted downward.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you increase the length of your chain it will be much more secure. I use 50 feet of chain connected to a bruce anchor which sits nicely in the anchor pulpit. Remember you should put out 7 times the depth of the water in anchor rode.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Personally, I think it's worth saving the money and fitting a windlass ultimately. We use a 22lb Bruce with 30' of chain then finished off with 14mm rode. I'd still not be happy with overnight anchoring with that set up, but then we do have fast tides here around the Isle of Wight. It's not uncommon for us to anchor in 3-4 knots of tide for our fishing.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

When I had my old 34 Mainship we anchored almost every weekend. We used a 22 Danforth with 13 feet of 3/8 chain, then 5/8 3 strand nylon rode.
Never had an issue with that set-up. We had a rope only windlass so the chain was hauled manually.
That (or similar) should be appropriate for a 28 Albin.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Only two boats anchored in Foscule Creek Alabama during Hurricane Ida, our 49' DeFever CPMY and a 42' Kady Krogen. The reason we did is that we both had "Super Max" adjustable arm anchors and we knew the docks wouldn't hold our weight.

The trees provided some protection and kept the direct winds under 50 mph. I kept in touch with the USCG across the creek about conditions we couldn't see on our electronics.

Our only problem after the storm was when we were getting ready to leave, it took us a couple of hours to get the anchors up because the harder the wind blew, the deeper they dug. We used a 4 to 1 all chain rode (small anchorage).

We've anchored in all types of bottoms around the Great Loop (www.GreatLoop.org) and it held solid in every one. You do have to learn how to set it, but once done, you can rest easy. And you do need to know how to run a trip line up the anchor chain / rode just in case.

We now have an A28TE and will be getting a Super Max for it as well. We'll keep the 22 lb. Delta Plow anchor that on board for a picnic anchor and for quick anchoring in the "hard pack" in the Bahamas. Rocna and Manson also are contenders to replace the Delta.

Bob DeGroot
2005 A28TE
Cape Coral, Fl
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

A Lewmar 700 series Pro Fish Windless with a Anchor rode that is perfect for your boat sells for $899.00 http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=2955029 You can copy and paste this link to have a look.
I had a 700 series on our Family Cruiser and we have a Pro Fish 1000 on our 36. They have both been great. once I had one and got used to using them I would not be without one. We have done extensive overnight anchoring from the Chesapeake down to Florida and never had a problem. We had a Delta on the family cruiser and a 45# CQR on the 36. The Danforth is a Darn good anchor for most bottoms but when Anchoring in areas that have strong tidal currents one will swing during the night, the danforth must pull out and then reset. Usually that is not a problem unless somihing like a small rock or an oyster shell should happen to get caught in the hinge then it will not reset, not making for a restful sleep.
I personally prefer a Plow type anchor, I am not sold on the Rocna, although I believe they have a strong Internet publicity/marketing strategy. Any time I have Googled anything to do with Anchoring a article pops up basicly saying that if you don't have a Rocna you will end up washed up on the shore. The amount of chain you use and the scope put out is probably the most important thing. USPS seamanship training says the minimum should be 1/3 of the boat length, West advisor says 1/2 the boat length. For overnight anchoring it is generally accepted that chain equal to boat length is desirable. At that point I am sure one can see the advantage on a Windlass. Unless you enjoy some good arm exercise in the AM.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

I don't have an Albin yet, but have extensive experience anchoring in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean after owning and living on sailboats.
Once I get my Albin 28TE, I plan on getting a Rocna 15 (33lbs) or similar size Manson Supreme. Either way I plan on at least 50' of 5/16HT (group 4) chain as well as 100' of 3 strand nylon, probably 5/8".
With the above setup, a windlass should not be necessary if one is in reasonable good shape. (Later in life I may change that) pulling anchor and chain is a good excersize and sometimes my wife wants to do just for that reason.

In the past I have used CQR anchors, Delta, Rocna, Bruce and Fortress. The Rocna was far the best with quick setting and strong holding. The Delta was a good Nr. 2.
My last sailboat was a CSY 33 with a 55# Delta, 215' of chain and 250' of nylon. The big anchor was a lunch-hook, a working anchor and a storm anchor all rolled into one big plow.
Used it hundreds of times for overnights over 8 years, then replaced it with a 44# Rocna which held better and set faster despite being one size smaller and used the Rocna for the next 6 years.
Many a times in remote anchorages in the Bahamas a thunderstorm kicked up at 2 AM with winds blowing 40-50 knots and I just roll over in bed, whereas boats next to me drag like cars in reverse and they are busy hollering and screaming trying to get the engine started in heavy rain and wind, then pull the anchor and try to find a better spot to re-anchor without running into anything.
Been there done that in my younger days in the Virgin Islands, liveaboard in the hurricane belt with no insurance on the boat. One learns really fast how important a good anchor is. Back then 30 years ago the CQR was popular, so was the Danforth and we did not know any better. These days we have better anchors and I will be the first one to always have the best anchor gear on my boat: I like to sleep at night.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

During two cruises to and around the Mexican Baja in my 28TE, I have comfortably anchored overnight setting two anchors at roughly a 30 degree angle each night. The prime is a 22 pound Bruce with 25' of 5/16" chain on 300' of 1/2" rode. The second anchor is a 15 pound Danforth with 25' of 5/16" chain on 250' of 1/2" rode. The windless was bypassed and never used.

I had a 30# back up Danforth anchor with 30' of 3/8" chain on 250' of 3/4" rode that I kept below deck as a spare or if the forecast looked rough.

The double anchor placement is pretty quick once you've done it a few times. We always slept confident with this anchorage configuration.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

https://get.google.com/albumarchive ... 35410450 Finally got my bow anchor mounted today.
Rocna 33 lbs, had to modify the bracket above the roller to 4 1/4".
Loaded 100 ' 1/4" High Test chain, no nylon for now. (I will carry some in a locker)
Doing only Florida and the Bahamas I can anchor in 15-18' of water and still have good scope.
The Rocna is a lunch hook, working anchor and storm anchor rolled into one.
The boat came with a new windlass and a gypsy to fit the chain. Perfect.
I also carry a spare or stern anchor in a bag, a Fortress FX 11 with HT chain and line.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Norseman, you will love that Rocna anchor! We have the 22 lb. version, and it's the best anchor we've ever owned. The first time you set it, you'll know you made the right choice.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Nancy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm Norseman, you will love that Rocna anchor! We have the 22 lb. version, and it's the best anchor we've ever owned. The first time you set it, you'll know you made the right choice.
Yeah, I love those things,
Been using Rocnas since 2007, back then they were not even sold in the US, had to order from Canada.
This is my 4th Rocna. I was debating myself whether to go 22 lbs or 33 lbs on the Albin 28.
Finally settled on the 33 to sleep better when a squall pipes up at 02:00.
On previous sailboat I used a 55 lbs Delta for 8 years and numerous Bahamas trips. Then switched to a 44 # Rocna for the next 6 years, which held better and set faster than the Delta.
Last edited by Norseman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

I decided against the adjustable arm Supermax for our 28TE and selected the 25 lb. MANTUS anchor. We use it with 20 ft. of chain and 300 feet of rope rode. Some assembly required.

The weighted tip sold me.

The weighted tip difference is that it sets within the length of the anchor itself. Unbelievable.

I watched the videos online showing a comparison with different popular anchors and was convinced. Bought it, put it together, and tested it again and again. Performed exactly as demonstrated in the videos. Wow! That's a first.

Bob

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”