• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Broken skeg to rudder brace

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Broken skeg to rudder brace

Post by jleonard »

I don't like the weld job. I see what looks like a stress riser.
I would have it re-welded if it were mine.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Chris, I have that part on order right now. It is part number A28010BEAR from Buck Algonquin. Jake Corrice, their sales manager gave me the number but I had to order from one of their distributors. Its approximately $550. The bearing number is BONITO but the person ordering it for me said it came with a bearing already installed. Jake will probably answer your email.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

That's good news but different then when I spoke with Buckalgonquin today. Jake was out today but other staff said I had to order the whole skeg bar including the skeg bearing for approximately $1000. That the bolt pattern of the Skeg bearing alone has changed over time and may not easily bolt up to my skeg bar. I have a 2006 flushdeck so our boats aren't that different. $1000 is what my yard wants to rebuild my existing Skeg bearing only so I may just go new everything if available ASAP.

What is the distributor your ordering from???
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

The Buck Algonquin website lists several distributors near Triburon. The closest are in Richmond including one called the Prop Shop. I am getting mine through Stuart Prop Shop. He called while I was there to make sure we ordered the right thing. Have your shop call and if Jake is back in on Monday he can tell the distributor just what you need.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
drbob
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cape Harbour, Cape Coral, FL

Post by drbob »

Jeremyvmd wrote:Welding job looks great. The Unwelded side looks like it could use some TLC due to pitting. Might be worth having the clean and reinforce that side...
Olsen Marine (Ft. Myers Beach) discovered another crack in the opposite side. Sent it back to the welder who reinforced it.

Launched the boat yesterday.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

Needed = Your old or a replacement Rudder shoe for 28 TE. See photo & Schematic.

I'm back, second times a charm. The Buck Algoquin complete replacement skeg (Part #A28010BAR & A28010BEAR cost $1000~) I bought 2 years ago has lost its Rudder Shoe. Presumably it unbolted from skeg while underway. Does anyone have rudder shoe to sell me or to Salvage??
I have the original one but it has a lot of Electrolysis around bearing and I've been told welding Salt water saturated Bronze is not easy. Any suggestions from the group??

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Very interesting. The same thing happened to my boat last year. The original shoe corroded and fell off. Buck Algonquin changed the bolt pattern so I had to buy the whole thing. The bolts holding the rudder shoe to the skeg were only finger tight when I gave it to the yard manager at Hinckley. I assumed they would tighten it once it was installed. It fell off after about a month and they said I must have run aground and knocked it off. I could not prove anything and ended up purchasing the shoe again.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Get a good machine shop to make the shoe from aluminium bronze. We’ve made a few in the past for various boats where they have corroded away. Sadly, I’m the wrong side of the pond to help out.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

Russell wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm I ended up purchasing the shoe again.
Unfortunately the skeg / shoe is now discontinued so I'll either have to 1) find one here, 2) fabricate one or 3) rebuild corroded original shoe I luckily still had from original replacement.

Anyone have an old rudder shoe to sell or share??
Currently boatless
Prior owner of

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”