• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer placement

Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Transducer placement

Post by Halcyon »

Hello all. I am trying to get my depth finder to work at speed. Last year we replaced the fairing block with the Airmar unit in hopes of getting better readings, to no avail. I suspect turbulence from the lifting streak that ends a few feet forward. Not surprisingly, moving the transducer is expensive so i want to get it in a good place. I have read a few comments on this forum which are helpful.

Does anyone out there have a picture of their successful installation they would be willing to share?
IMG682ss.jpg
Trav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transducer placement

Post by Halcyon »

Picture from the stern:
IMG_6684.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

It almost looks like you are too far outboard and behind that lifting strake causing turbulence and water echoing. I would think that you would want to be more inboard as well, but it is hard to tell without a side shot.

Follow this link to a 31 TE transducer placement discussion in the electronics forum (single engine):

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8946
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

The yard called and want's to start on moving the transducer. From what I have read it needs to be further inboard with a clear path of hull ahead of it. This still leaves a lot of variability. I don't want to make an educated guess and be wrong again.

Are there any other 35 owners who have a depth finder that works at speed and can tell me where their transducer is mounted? Please!

Best, Trav
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Halcyon: Wish I could recall placement on my former 35te. I do recall it to have been outside the cabin and I think on the starboard side but that is no help. Current owner is in So. Cal. but is not active on the site.
Howard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Halcyon wrote:
Are there any other 35 owners who have a depth finder that works at speed and can tell me where their transducer is mounted? Please!

Best, Trav
I can tell you that mine is NOT reliable at speed and I'll probably be moving it. It also has a proper fairing block and is well mounted but I think it's too far outboard and picking up bubbles/turbulence coming aft off of the bow. I should be able to swing by the boat (on the hard) this weekend and get you better information on where not to put it! :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

But do keep in mind that Doug's usual speed is 30knots in 4ft seas !
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:But do keep in mind that Doug's usual speed is 30knots in 4ft seas !
Is that a problem? :lol:

So I finally got down to the boat. Took some measurements and photos. (I'm typing this on my PC and will then attempt to attach the photos from my phone - We'll see how that goes.)

As you can see from the shot with the tape measure, our transducer is about 12.5" outboard of the side of the keel. It's also ~11.5' forward of the transom. It may not be obvious from the photos but this puts it almost directly aft of the innermost lifting strake. This is likely my problem as the strake will guide air down from the bow that then flows aft.

From the side (since RobS will ask/comment - the red paint was an experiment - waterbased from Jamestown Dist. Didn't really hold up!! :) )
32222424780_895d22a1d6_o.jpg
From forward. You can just see the transducer to the right of the prop
32478794311_67a6a67758_o.jpg
For this shot I held the camera lens centered on the back edge of the strake. As you can also see in this shot the A/C thru-hull is another possible culprit in my loss of transducer performance. Or at least a contributor.
32561080236_914263a475_o.jpg
Showing the offset.
32448556012_44a8f6775a_o.jpg
Doug
Sonny IV
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Doug,
Did you experience any vibration with those shore power cords wrapped around the shaft?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:Doug,
Did you experience any vibration with those shore power cords wrapped around the shaft?

Just a bit, but it's worth it for the power generation.

Once we added the Cable TV line you really didn't notice it.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”