• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE pilot house repair

Wink
Deckhand
Deckhand

28TE pilot house repair

Post by Wink »

I have a couple of questions/problems that I am hoping someone has had experience with.

1. I have a 2000 Albin 28TE. The previous owner moved the radar from the cabin top to the radar arch. The radar was mounted about 13 inches back from the front edge of the pilot house. All the mounting holes were in front of the window in the overhang / sun shade potion of roof. The holes had been filled with some type of resin. While washing the cabin top yesterday I noticed an area about 15 inches by 12 inches under the area where the radar was very soft as though hollow. I guess the previously filled mounting holes allowed water to leak into the roof. I have had some deck delamination on previous boats that I repaired by drilling and filling the holes. However this is different it seems totally hollow where the radar was mounted. My question is: Was balsa used in the pilot house roof or plywood? If either was used, will drilling a hole and filling the area with epoxy resin solve the problem or will the core continue to rot and the area expand? I would really like to avoid cutting a section out of the top, repairing and then trying to match the gel coat color.

2. My blue hull looks pretty good after buffing and waxing but the hull has to be waxed about every three months to stay looking good. My arm is hurting just thinking about it. I am thinking coating the hull with Tough Enough clear or ForeverNu clear by Vivilon. Anyone know about this product?
Any suggestion will be appreciated
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Re: 28TE pilot house repair

Post by Sisu22 »

I realize this is an old thread but my Surveyor did find that there was some bad core in the pilothouse roof of my 1994. Not sure if they still used balsa in 2000. I'm planning on doing some extensive repairs on it, but probably won't be for a while (more urgent ones are pending). Would love to know if anyone else did this already, I hope I can do it by drilling holes but I expect that I will have to remove the top surface of fiberglass, dig it all out, re-core and seal it up.
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”