• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hard Enclosure

muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Hard Enclosure

Post by muscrat »

Does anyone on the board have a rear hard enclosure on their engine box model 28? Care to share your thoughts on it? Mine is a soft enclosure and am thinking about upgrading to the hard enclosure for a few reasons. Better cold weather access- the canvas is a pain, I would rather have a sliding door, more noise reduction, adding a rear steering station, and adding more tackle storage.

Thanks

Steve
rt11002003
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rt11002003 »

We were looking at a new 2006 A28TE, an engine box model w/o the hard enclosure, a couple of weeks ago. And were also looking at a new 2006 A31TE with the hard enclosure.

We want a hard enclosure. Asked the sales person about a hard enclosure for the A28. We were advised they were only available factory installed at the time of production. Said we'd have to find someone to make one.

The A31TE is a really nice vessel, seems like a larger 28, but much more expensive.
Gene Currently Albin "less"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Enclosure w/sliding door & engine box

Post by Pitou »

Muscrat
Funny thing / PITOU came with the hard enclosure and I was sure I would take it off and install drop curtains. It didn't take long to change my mind.

Great noise reduction when needed on a long run or when the office calls :wink:. It provides a more comfortable early and late season, keeps the wheel house dry, dry, dry (except when running in snotty seas and those darn side slideing windows leak), and provides security for the electronics and other gear. There is not a lot of room behind the companion seat after the enclosure goes in/ just enough room to put 2 folded aluminum w/canvas deck chairs (a custom fit). That should give you an idea about how much space their would be for tackle storage. For air circulation I do need to run one 12 volt fan to keep the air moving on a warm day / no big deal and it does stay comfortable. I did add a screen for the door attached with snaps a zipper up the middle / easy to roll up and out of the way. There are retractable models available. As far as an outside station / I don't know / not much room for that IMHO, especially remembering that the door must slide almost all the way to port when open. If you want one I'll bet you could get one. Don't give up easily. You will find a little carpentry using the plastic marine lumber to create stops inside and out necessary for the install. If you get further along and need some photos to help w/install let me know.

Hey rt / check out "Tuxedo" 8) in the FOR SALE Forum !
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hard Enclosure

Post by RicM »

If you are cruising the hard enclosure may be an asset, but if you are fishing I would think carefully about it. When fishing I find myself going back and forth to the helm and fishfinder a lot. With the motor box you would have to walk 270 degrees around the cockpit and when the reel goes off it is always the furtest one away.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I have a hard enclosure with a sliding door and will agree with RicM. You need to be careful and not rush your way to the rod that goes off. It does provide allot of noise reduction and additonal warmth. I can fish all year round out here and in the winter months it is a definate plus. Especially if you get caught in a rain storm coming from the stern. I also run a small 12 volt fan for air circulation.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

Thank you for the replys..

If anyone would indulge a couple of questions, on the factory built one, how far forward of the engine box is the bottom of the bulkhead? From pictures I have seen, the enclosure appears to be three pieces, with the port side at a slight angle to the center section, is that correct? How thick is it? Does it have any slant on the vertical as it gets tied into the cabin roof?

I do have a concern about the reduced access. I am planning on taking some cardboard and mocking it up to see what it would look like.. (time for a new fridge??)

I have completely insulated the engine box with soundown insulation and under the decks as well.. Still would like to tone it down some more. I feel most of the sound I get now is coming up through the vents under the gunwales and I did not want to disrupt airflow into the engine compartment..

Thanks again for the info..
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Personal Decisions

Post by Pitou »

The enclosure does "appear to be" 3 pieces. I couldn't be exactly sure without taking it apart / thankfully have not had the need. The bottom rail of the enclosure (without a measurement) is probably no more than 2 - 3 inches at the most forward of the engine box and the enclosure is straight up and down / no angle. Thickness / approx 2 inches.

As to reduced access / that is a con to the enclosure, especially if fishing alone. I believe the pros outweigh the cons. I fish hard and often and have learned to deal. With 8 rod holders & outriggers on PITOU I chase striped bass and blues with wire, lead core and mono and when the small school blue fin tuna begin to run the cockpit can get busy.
Best of luck in your decision making process outfitting your ALBIN.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

Thanks for the info.. It will gve me a place to start. My intent was to bulkhead mount the steering station on the port side. I have raymarine gear, so i was going to add a display there as well to repeat the fishfinder. Once I mock it up, I may have more questions if thats okay.

steve
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Just a comment on the aft pilot station:

Our boat has one, and I've found it to be somewhat handy, but with a few caveats:

First off, I use it primarily for docking when singlehanding. It puts me closer to the swim-step and lines. It has reduced visibility, so I actually prefer it only when single-handing, or working with an inexperienced crew. Sometimes I just use it because it's there...for fun.

Secondly, it would be infinitely more valuable if I had a repeater for my navigation equipment, particularly radar and depth, and a fishfinder when fishing. Since there is reduced visibility, the radar would be handy for quickly looking for other boats. Depth would offer simple peace of mind.

The value of an aft pilot station on the bulkhead would be somewhat reduced in a 28'. The close proximity of the main helm to the cockpit makes it less necessary, as does the ability to man-handle the lightweight boat from the dock, once you get it close. However, I can still see it's value when working fish in the cockpit, particularly single handed.

My advice, would be to simply mount a throttle and shifter control along the gunnel. Then, use a wired or wireless remote with your autopilot to steer. Most autopilots allow you to use the control to turn the rudder when the autopilot is not engage. This doesn't have the "feel" of a wheel, but takes up a lot less space. If your steering is hydraulic, you can often use a joystick control as well. Again, much more compact. Take great care in where you mount these controls so that they offer the most functionality for what your intended use is.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

3 piece or 1 piece

Post by Pitou »

Enjoying a cocktail in the cockpit yeaterday the hard enclosure string came to mind. Hey Muscrat / the enclosure is "1 piece." I should have known that ! :?
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”