• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Change

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oil Change

Post by RicM »

I'm about to do my first oil change ( a little late, already 70 hours this season). The book just says 15-40W CD spec. Any suggestions as to brand? I hear a lot about "Rotella" Premium and Synthetic. Any thoughts?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Rotella "T"

Post by Pitou »

Way to use that boat Ric !
Myself and most of the guys around the docks I wander use the 15w - 40 Rotella T multi-grade w/ soot control. A few use the synthetic oils.
Remember, I'm a Cummins guy so my maintenance schedule may be different than the Yanmar. Cummins schedule is to change the oil and filter every 300 hrs. or 12 months. I was told by my Cummins dealer not to use the synthetics until I reach 700 hours. Why ? I can't recall. I'm not their yet and will probably continue to use the Rotella "T" multi-grade.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
TD
First Mate
First Mate

Oil

Post by TD »

Another opinion. I have twin 370hp Cummins and prefer 15W-40 delo 400. I can use in my ZF transmissions also. I put about 150hours/year so far and change every fall. I believe delo smokes less, but it may be my imagination and I get a the best price at Costco.
Last edited by TD on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm a believer in synthetics, just seen too many reports and test over the years that makes me believe that they offer more protection from corrosion and heat than dino oils. I might be wrong, there is a lot of debate, but I've come to this conclusion. I try to do all the things that will prolong that $26,000.00 investment in my engine. I keep it flushed out, keep the anti-freeze balanced and changed every two years, keep it clean on the outside and try to run the best fuel in it I can......and I put in Amsoil Synthetic Marine Diesel Oil. It might not be any better than any other oil or synthetic oil, but it makes ME feel good... I do change my oil every fall or every 100 hours which ever comes first.

The last thing I'll add is this. I have a Yanmar that was built in 1999, I had to have the after market valve seals kit put in due to the "bad" seal and sticking valve issue. When they pulled my valve cover off after I'd been using Amsoil for over a year, the entire inside of the cover, all the rocker arms and mechanisims looked like they were brand new, there was no gunk, no varnish nothing....and I know several other folks who had the same work done and said that their valve covers and those same parts were gummy and varnished up. Have no idea what the difference was except they were running dino oils and I was running synthetic.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

oil changes

Post by fairtide »

HANG M' HIGH responded re oil changes that he uses 15W-40 engine oil in his ZF transmission as well as his engine. I was under the impression that these marine gears needed ATF rather than engine oil. My ZF 63A has a filter (asked about this in another post) and it is likely that a heavier oil than AFT might not be compatible with that filter. Any comments from ZF owners?
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I use Delo 400. Considered the synthetic variety, but Cat actually doesn't recommend it, so didn't go that route. I do, however, use Mobil 1 in my truck.
TD
First Mate
First Mate

ZF Fluid

Post by TD »

Fairtide--I put a post on the fluid in the maintenance portion of the forum. Sorry about that.
HANG'M HIGH
2000 35TE Cummins Twin 370HP
Seattle

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”