• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

getting on plane

rangoons
Gold Member
Gold Member

getting on plane

Post by rangoons »

Another stupid question. I was on my boat the weekend with a friend who has a 27' Grady White. We were cruising at about 26 MPH. My friend thought the bow was a bit high and said I should trim it to bring the bow down. He explained that he thought I was pushing water and that if I put the bow down we would pick up some speed. I trimmed the bow down and lost almost 2 MPH. We also threw up alot more water hitting the windshield. Is it normal to have the bow ride higher thasn other boats?
Rangoons
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

yes it is. Albins ride high in the bow, at least that has been my experience. I have a Albin 28 which is a semi displacement hull, meaning it does not fully plane. Which is why the bow rides high. I change the trim while under way depending on the speed and conditions I am under. Once I set the speed for a comfortable ride, I will trim for maximum speed at that setting. Usually you can get a least 1/2 knot out of it or a little more.

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Rangoons,
Not a stupid question at all. When I first got my boat I put the tabs down right away. I was used to my family cruiser. It took a few trips out to get used to it. These bows do ride high. I have followed a few threads on the board about folks getting wet. I sometimes wondered if they had the tabs down and were forcing the bow into the waves. Your friends Grady probably has outboards. Once on plane he will trim his drives up to get maximum speed. That, in conjuction with the tabs, pushes his bow down.
I use my tabs more to balance the boat when I have weight or people moving around.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Capt Paul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Paul »

I just re-read my post and I may have not been clear... When I said "yes it is", I didn't mean it was a stupid question... I meant , yes, it rides high in the bow...

Just in case it was taken the wrong way...

Sorry,

Paul
1999 Albin 28 TE "Antoinette"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I also found the bow riding high, I quickly learned that by bringing it down it got wet and bumpy.
But in order to see better, I do bring it down a little, just so the swim platform clears the horizon.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”