• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

tachometer

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

tachometer

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Happy 4th!!!

I'm currently up in Long Island and I am having tach problems. The tach doesen't register any rpm's until about 800 -1000. I haven't pulled my Yanmar book yet, but I'm wondering what you folks know about the tach and it's connections, I assume it's electrical. I'm thinking about replacing the cable and guage before I try to rplace an engine sensor (if there is one - I assume there is).
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Had the same problem, it was related to a ground wire somewhere around the transmission/engine area. I had my Marina take a look at it and they fixed it in about 5 minutes.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks Chief. That makes sense. It also explains why when I hit my trim tabs the tach falls off (decreases in rpm).

I forgot to mention that the engine seems to be running fine, based on how the engine sounds.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

chiefrcd wrote:Had the same problem, it was related to a ground wire somewhere around the transmission/engine area. I had my Marina take a look at it and they fixed it in about 5 minutes.
Chief -

Do you have any more info on this. Is / was it a loose, cut, or disconnected wire? I poked around by the bonding strip and electrical buses under the engine but I didn't see anything. Just wondering if you know more. Also, if it's a grounding problem, could it be dangerous?
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

No additional information. Comments from the "kid" they sent down to fix it were, "it was a bad ground on a wire".....my impression was that it was a corrosion issue somewhere around the transmission area but I'm not really sure. He fixed it in just minutes. I have the Yanmar 6lp and a Borg Warner Velvet Drive 5000 transmission but I have not a clue as to where the tach hooks up.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks anyway Chief.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”