• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sounds like a jet engine hum.

Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford NY

Sounds like a jet engine hum.

Post by Magnarae »

I ran out to Montauk and Block Island for the Holiday week. As I was pulling into Montauk Inlet, I noticed what sounds like a jet engine hum. Its not coming from the engine. If I am at idle in gear it sound like as whooshing sound coming from under the boat. I also noticed it as I was at idle in gear with following seas. Any ideas?
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Sounds like a jet engine hum.

Post by Mark Deeser »

First thing that comes to mind is an extrusiom. Sounds are a little water like water intrusion, they can present themselfs quite a distance from their origination point. I wonder if the sound is only heard at idle because of the lower general noise levels. The hum does not paint a mental picture in this case, but a whoosh is possible air or water. I would look for constrictions, clogged filters, ( thinking air ) or even an issue with the turbo. Most interesting problem, hope others with same equipment can provide better insights. Thanks, Mark.
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

Could be your turbo waste gate is stuck open..
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Magnarae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford NY

Post by Magnarae »

how do I check to see if that is the case?
Bjorn B
2002 28 TE Engine Box
315 Yanmar
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

Post by craw_daddy »

Your turbo boost gauge -if you have one, otherwise a diesel mechanic can confirm it.
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”