• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat listing starboard at dock?

Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Boat listing starboard at dock?

Post by Neil »

Does anyone have any experience with this? We have carefully gone through the boat, there is nothing heavy on that side. In fact the water tank is on the opposite side. It's a 97 28 TE. Hull was in very good shape. What else could cause This? Did they add ballast to the starboard to compensate for the water tank?
Thanks in advance.
Neil
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Boat listing starboard at dock?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Mine does the same thing. I've allways assumed it was the combination of the head, batteries and hot water heater that does it...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

One would have thought the boat is more likely to list to port with the water tank etc. Have you checked to make sure your holding tank isn't full or water has been getting in it somehow?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Yes my 98 lists about 2 inches to starboard. Pig iron was suggested to me but I haven't done it yet .
The port side hatch in the stern has some room but I worry about the weight bouncing around.
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

Jack, if you're serious about wanting to add weight in the port stern deck compartment, you might consider the "soft" (bean bag type) SCUBA weights; they would stay put. Depending on how much weight you need, it may not be practical however. Don.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

You can also get sacks of lead shot (used and dirty) from rotometals for pretty cheap. I got several months back with the intent of balancing out my boat
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Same concept as what Don said but the real deal for adding real ballast. Not "cheap" but this is clean, safe and easy.. Carrying handle and all..

http://www.leadwake.com/product/black-50lb-bag/
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Neil
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bridgeport CT (Miamogue)

Post by Neil »

I am so relieved that it's common!! I wonder if it was just how some of them came out of the mold. The other Albin at our marina sits straight. Thanks for the advice. We did check the holding tank, and for water coming in, no and no.
As for ballast, I'm not sure. The boat tracks nicely, by adding serious weight arnt you beating up your fuel economy?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Interesting that those reporting the list are all similar vintage boats. My 2000 28TE had no noticeable list. My batteries were both centerline FWIW..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

And I always thought it was just me,,,lol, 96 28te, mine lists to Starboard about 1-2" depends on how full the water tank is,,,, it bothers me but I haven't tried ballast except to consciously store everything extra on the port side,
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack »

Thanks for great suggestions. Rob pointed out about same vintage. My 28 is 1998 but went from Peninsula to Yanmar in 2003. Apparently that change didn't affect the small list.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Jack wrote:Thanks for great suggestions. Rob pointed out about same vintage. My 28 is 1998 but went from Peninsula to Yanmar in 2003. Apparently that change didn't affect the small list.
Did you use the same exhaust? I know our 1997 had the exhaust to starboard with the Peninsular engine. I believe the Yanmar's are to port. Is it just a really heavy muffler? :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jack »

Doug, my Yanmar exhaust is starboard side. Good point about the muffler. The previous owner added an oversized muffler on the starboard side when he repowered to Yanmar.
No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Post by No Bananas »

My 05 did it and I added a new 4D battery to port to compensate weight. That's 130 lbs of battery. My 28 is a flush deck.
Vickers85
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Marina del rey, ca

Post by Vickers85 »

My 05 flush deck does this as well. About 3" list on starboard side. This is even with fuel and port side water tank filled. I have 3 batteries. All in the aft, 1 port, 1 centerline and 1 starboard. I did have a surveyor check my boat and he reported elevated moisture on the starboard bow to midship area. He recommends I remove the stanchion and reseal. I dont think that's the problem .

Does anyone know how much the water heater weighs? That is the only thing in the starboard side that I can think of that could cause this... might need to move my starboard side battery to port on the next change.

Also I have hydraulic steering, at high speed it does not allow me to turn, i must slow down the vessel to almost neutral before i can turn the wheel. Anyone else have this same issue?

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”