• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

The TE 28 and the Yanmar 315

Tom

The TE 28 and the Yanmar 315

Post by Tom »

Hi everybody, I don't actually own an Albin yet, but I intend to soon, so I hope that is ok.

What can I expect for actual cruising speed out of a TE 28 with a Yanmar 315? How much fuel per hour should I burn at that rate? I see numbers that are all over the place. Does the boat plane? When you bring it up to plane do you have to use full throttle and then back off once it is up?

What is the correct cruising rpm for the Yanmar 315?

I ask these questions because I have ridden on two boats, the most recent one we ran it at 3,000 rpm. Neither boat's gps was working but they did not seem to be going very fast (I have a Grady 22 so it may have just been me). I will have the opportunity to ride in the boat again and want to make sure how do get the maximum cruising speed out of it to give it a fair trial. I would also like to have reasonable expectations.

Any suggestions that any of you owners have would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

TS
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Albin 28 with 315 Yanmar

Post by Albinflorida »

I am a dealer and see many of these boats. The 315 equipped 28 is a 4000 RPM engine which can do 300 RPM off the top high cruise. You should be able to cruise 15 to 20 knots. 3000 RPM is a bit slow, but that is a skippers call. I cruise 3500 to 3700 RPM with about a 7- 8 GPH. Some people don't like to run their engines up to full RPM, but the engine is rated for 1 out of every 8 hours at full RPM. Make sure your ride includes a WOT run. You should be getting near 4000 RPM or you need to reprop. A Yanmar rep can advise. The Yanmar will smoke a little, especially at start up. This is normal. It is a great engine, very quiet and smooth. Enjoy
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Tom

28 TE cruising speed

Post by Tom »

Doug:

Thank you for the response. I know that each boat is different & that each boat may have more or less additional weight aboard, but isn't 15-20 knh a wide spread.

To get it up to cruise to you run it wot and then back it off once it is up?

Thanks

TS
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate

Cruising speed

Post by Albinflorida »

Those speeds are low to high cruise, a 400 - 500RPM swing, while still on a plane. Some older boats may not make the 20 knot cruise, maybe 18. The boat does plane around 13 - 14 knots. You do not need to go WOT to get on a plane, but going slowly up to 3000 RPM would make it seem like forever to plane. I generally take it up to around 3500 and adjust from there. FYI, the 2001 and earlier Yanmar engine are the 300 HP, not 315, and are slightly different engines. They had a valve problem which Yanmar corrected aftermarket.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi Doug,

Can you explain more about this valve problem with the 2001 and earlier Yanmar's. What was the problem or symptoms. Is this something Yanmar did a recall on?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers!

Brian
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tom

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi Tom,

Just to provide some more info for you. I'm pretty sure I have a 300 Yanmar - although I should confirm. Anyway, on the engine it states that I have 3600 RPM continuous and 3800 at max. We generally cruise at abput 3000 to 3200 RPM and achieve 15-17 kts depending on conditions and load.

The boat does plane, but generally needs the assistance of trim tabs. I speed up slowly so this may be why we need the tabs. I'ts not my personal preference to jam the throttles hard. Based on the one long cruise we had with the boat (when we picked it up) we had a fuel burn between 6-7 gph.

Cheers!

Brian
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate

Yanmar valves

Post by Albinflorida »

Tom,
The syptoms were the dropping of a valve, not good. A few people I know had this happen and Yanmar replaced the enginbe, even out of warranty. Check with a local Yanmar rep or mechanic for the best info.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

I did some searching on this valve problem since I have a 2001. Most dealers claimed ingnorance however I found one that said the seals in the valves became rigid and they were replaced as needed on a case by case basis.

The symptoms for this scenario was a clattering at the engine during deceleration.

I also made a call to Mack Boring, the Yanmar Distributor in New Jersey, and hopefully I'll get a call back.

In the mean time I found an additional website that may be of interest to some forum members here.

A Yanmar discussion group

http://www.freeboards.net/index.php?mfo ... lp&act=idx
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: The TE 28 and the Yanmar 315

Post by jcollins »

Tom wrote:Hi everybody, I don't actually own an Albin yet, but I intend to soon, so I hope that is ok.

What can I expect for actual cruising speed out of a TE 28 with a Yanmar 315? How much fuel per hour should I burn at that rate? I see numbers that are all over the place. Does the boat plane? When you bring it up to plane do you have to use full throttle and then back off once it is up?

What is the correct cruising rpm for the Yanmar 315?

I ask these questions because I have ridden on two boats, the most recent one we ran it at 3,000 rpm. Neither boat's gps was working but they did not seem to be going very fast (I have a Grady 22 so it may have just been me). I will have the opportunity to ride in the boat again and want to make sure how do get the maximum cruising speed out of it to give it a fair trial. I would also like to have reasonable expectations.

Any suggestions that any of you owners have would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks

TS
Tom,
Welcome to the board!
I have a Peninsular in mine but I can address a couple of things.
Comparing the Grady's planing and cruising to the Albin is night and day.
I had a family cruiser that jumped right up on plane too. The first few times out in my Albin it felt very different.
I cruise at 2800 (20 knots) to 3200 (23.5 knots) I guess my WOT is around 3800 too.
My guess is your Grady cruises around 30-32? Top end around 40? They are great boats. I almost bought a 26 Islander.
But, nothing compared to the Albin when I started thinking about my needs and budget.
One thought : If you are into trolling the Albin is a little fast. I was trolling this past weekend at 4.3 to 4.7 knots. There is a discussion in the fishing forum about trolling valves.
You can also purchase "parachutes" that will slow you down. A friend told me about them this past weekend.
I burn 4-5 GPH. Much better than the 13-14 I was burning in my last boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Lowe Key

Yanmar 315 (Performance Curves)

Post by Lowe Key »

I am the Newbie Here...

Like Tom I am looking at the 28TE or 31TE for my "Next" boat.

In searching the web I wanted the power curve for the engine since I had brokers say gph were anywhere from 2 gallons to 8 gallons. I want to compare the Yanmar with the Cummins.

From the Yanmar site at this link for the engine specs.. http://www.yanmar.com.au/marine/lpa_ser ... ifications I I click on the Brouchure 6lpa-stp (pdf) link and got an Adobe file with the graphs. They at least tell you what the factory says about fuel.

You have to consider how much gear you pack. My last engine did much better than the curve. I think when I changed motor mounts, I got a much better line from engine to prop.
Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Tom,

I'm a bit late to the discussion but...

I have a 2003 Albin 28 TE with the turbocharged Yanmar 315. I got it late in 2004 so I've had some experience with it including bringing it from New Jersey to Rhode Island.

I routinely run at 3400 RPM which is usually 20 kts depending on conditions. I cruise in Narragansett Bay, RI so I'm usually in 1-3' chop.

Love the engine. A mechanic told this engine is based on a toyota truck engine but I haven't confirmed this. I burned 7 gph on average on the trip from New Jersey. I'd say I averaged 12-14 knots so I the fuel consumption at 20 kts will be higher.

Good luck with your search.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I think it's a Toyota Land Cruiser Engine...I do know you can cross reference parts at NAPA and save a lot of money...
digitrade

Re: The TE 28 and the Yanmar 315

Post by digitrade »

The 28TE and Yanmar 6LPA (315 hp) is a good match. I just installed the third new one in my 2000 model.

The engine can cruise at almost any rpm. It really doesn't matter. 2500, 3000, 3500. On my boat we sometimes cruise at 3000 and sometimes at 3400. Some nights it idles all night at slow troll, some days it trolls all day at 1500 to 1800.

There is only one thing that really does matter - fuel flow at a specific rpm. Yanmar has a chart that shows maximum continuous fuel flow at a continuous rpm. It is precise and must be adhered to as a maximum. We monitor fuel flow use as much as engine rpm.

With the same engine at 3400 rpm and 10 gph, one boat might cruise at 30 knots and another, mine for instance at 16 knots.

Some readers are already thinking my boat is under-propped and should give me better than 16 knots at 3400. True for most boats. But our boat is often loaded heavily and operates in heavy seas.

So how did we know to install a prop to allow only 16 knots. It is all based on fuel flow. It is imperative to get a floScan or other accurate fuel flow meter on your boat to determine fuel flow. Without it you could never know if you are overloading the engine. We know that at 16 knots in a large swell and heavily loaded we are working the engine to the absolute limit.

A fuel flow meter has other benefits. You know immediately if something has changed. If something is wrapped on the prop for instance, it will show up as increased fuel flow.

Also your fuel flow meter will give you total fuel used. You will know precisely how much fuel you have used, therefore how much you have left and exactly how much you need to reach your destination. It gives added range for the same anount of fuel because of this confidence.

On our boat we seldom turn on the fuel gauge toggle switch.

Good luck.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”