• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

faded gelcoat

saltshaker28
Gold Member
Gold Member

faded gelcoat

Post by saltshaker28 »

I just bought a 28 te and the gelcoat is badly oxidized has anyone come across this issue and if so how did you fix it
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

The four year old Awlgrip on my boat looks great. :lol:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

From what I understand once a dark colored gelcoat hull is badly oxidized it's time for awlgrip. I have been able to keep my blue hull looking good by using a 3 step process. Caution / lots of work !

1st / I use 3M Super Duty rubbing compound applied with a wheel set between 1800 - 2200 RPM
2nd / I apply 3M Foam Polishing Glaze with foam pad using the same wheel.
3rd and last I apply by hand Collinite No. 885 paste wax and buff off.
Lot's of compliments, but then again the hull is an '02 and has been maintained since new.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I like Pitou's regimin. However, there are many different ways to do this. One that I like to use, is a two step process using 3M cleaner wax with a high speed buffing wheel (or a lot of elbow grease), followed by 3M hard wax using a lower speed random orbital buffer.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Thanks Mariner, I bought a high speed DeWalt buffing wheel from a local autobody supply store and had them put a velcro attachment on it to make it easy to switch compound pads or buffing wheels / works great.

I must confess :roll: 2 years ago I used the 3M cleaner wax (compound in it) and then applied the Collinite Paste. Honestly on my hull that was all I needed, but wanted to suggest the full treatment for a badly oxidized hull. As always be careful with these high speed wheels so as not to burn the gelcoat.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Paint

Post by Albinflorida »

You will have to paint her at some point. Eventually the compounding is going to burn through the gel coat. We have had success with Awlgrip, Imron and Sterling. Just use the paint your yard is the most comfortable with.

Doug Jenkins
Massey Yacht Sales
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”