• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

transom fish box

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

transom fish box

Post by Russell »

Does anyone know if the transom fish box is insulated in a 97 28TE? I see on the Albin web site that the new models have insulation and wonder if that has always been the case. I noticed that ice seems to keep pretty well in there even on these hot days.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Russ,
When I put the aft rod holders on my 1999 28 I had to cut into the wall between the bait live box and the fish box. Yes, there was a considerable amount of foam behind the wall skin of the fish box. I'm not sure which year they started that but it's in the 1999.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

If your ice isn't melting, my guess is that it's insulated.

The underseat storage compartment/livewell/cooler in our transom is heavily insulated, but that's not enought to prevent the engine heat from melting the ice in a matter of a day or two.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

So far I have only had ice in there for an afternoon but I am hoping to go out for tuna soon and that is at least a 12 hour trip. I have one of those large ice chests but it would really be nice not to have that taking up space in the cockpit. Now if it were only the flush deck model.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

If you're talking about the floor storage area in the center of a flush deck, the two I'm familiar with fill with sea water in rough seas. Not a good place for storage. btw I rarely use my fish box for fish due to the lack of any other space for fenders, buckets etc. but I did use it during a long rock fish weekend and I used blocks of ice instead of bags and ice lasted three days. I have also put a stopper in the drain and filled it partially with water to keep the fish alive...works pretty well for a short trip.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Not to steal the thread but ...

Chief, if you know of flush decks that are taking water into the center fish box. There is a fix for it.

I had this problem at delivery and the factory (after a year of asking) engineered a solution. The drains at the rear of my fish box were plumbed "up hill" to a thru hull around mid-ship on the starboard side. The dealer added a pvc collection tube at the aft end of the box and plumbed it to a new thru-hull aft of the fishbox. All of the water that collected in the box was due to the drains overflowing into the box. Fix the drains and you have solved the problem.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Russell, I have a 1994 28TE and the center fish box is insulated. I had to get up inside there one time and saw that they had it insulated pretty well. Denis
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”