• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Deck and hatch core?

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Deck and hatch core?

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So I am installing an access hatch in my rear deck of shady, directly over the fuel fittings and sender. That way I shouldn't have to remove the rear deck for serviceing of the fuel system (new tank so it should be fine). Now shady is a 98, so I expected the rear deck to be balsa or plywood cored, imagine my surprise when I found foam...which brings up the question if the rear deck is original or replaced/rebuilt? Does anyone know what the deck coring was in 98? When did they switch to foam (2000-01 when the hulls got changed?) or did they ever and this is a rebuild? Not that it's a big deal but it got me thinking!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Deck and hatch core?

Post by DougSea »

Our 1997 had balsa coring in the big hatch covers (either side of the engine). Never drilled the deck, so I can't answer that one. The hull and the helm area were balsa cored.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im pretty sure the side hatches are balsa cored that's part of the reason I was surprised to see foam core in the rear deck...I was just hoping someone else has drilled theirs and can shed some light on the matter...
socalmike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: san diego

Post by socalmike »

Ours is 2001 and has the foam core on the main deck hatch.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

1996 has balsa in all hinged hatches not sure what lies in tank hatch or main deck,
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

I've got some pretty bad delamination in the deck aft of the engine box. Maybe around 5 or 6 square feet, maybe more. I'm planning on taking the hatch off, flipping it, and cutting out all of the old core and replacing. Not sure if it is balsa or marine plywood but definitely not foam. Has anyone done this job?
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Sounds like what the problem I had with the fuel tank cover. I did what you are planning to do. Mine was foam cored. You will see squared raised section on the back side. Used a dremel and cutting wheel to cut out a square over the bad area. Removed old core and cleaned. Resign glued in new core and fiber glassed back side. Pretty easy to do without disturbing the finished side. used the marine foam core to put back together.

Also I always had to fuel slow and easy and still had fuel coming out of the fuel vent. When I had the cover off I saw my vent line was run so it would trap fuel and not run back to the tank. Raised the hose off the tank with a foam shim. Then zip tied in place through the back hatches to be sure hose has no droops in it. Have no problem now fueling full throttle. When your cover is off check out if fueling is hard.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
JJaworski
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, ME

Post by JJaworski »

I need to replace my fuel guage sender and would be very interested in the details of an access hatch. I also have a '98 engine box 28TE and installing an access hatch may be just the right solution to my problem. Could someone put up some pictures of your access hatch?
1998 Albin 28TE "Sea Brit"
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I don't think I have any pictures at the moment, I'll look through my phone but worse case I'll be on shady tomorrow
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I don't have any installed pictures but I will try to take some this week
JJaworski
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Harpswell, ME

Post by JJaworski »

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how this works.
1998 Albin 28TE "Sea Brit"
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

OK so I just got my hatch off today and took a hole saw to the underside. Turns out I have 3/4" Balsa core and a ton of it is wet or just straight up rotten. So I've ordered two 2'x4' sections of end grain balsa for me to replace those. not sure how far the damage goes, but is a dremel the best tool to cut that?
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

One of the vibratory saws like a Fein I have a ridged work well. As you are pealing up the skin use it to cut any places that or still attached. It saves your skin to be used again. Get a good respirator, gloves and tyvec suite you will be a lot happier.
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sisu22 »

Great. 3M home depot respirator?
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

I got the 3m full face respirator. Absolutely love it. Wish I had it all my younger years. I probably wouldn't have some of the problems I have now. No problems with moisture and protects your face. Expensive yes but worth it. Sound like I sell them

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”