• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

3 vs 4 blade, nibral or bronze

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

3 vs 4 blade, nibral or bronze

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So shady is getting hauled soon due to circumstances I don't want to get into until I'm done trying to get my insurance company to see reason/the truth...while I have her out again I'm thinking of getting the prop replaced, or at least tuned. I am considering going with a 4 blade rather than the factory 3. I'm also trying to decide if nibral is worth the premium in a slower/low power boat like the 28...I'm looking to increase efficiency and low to midrange performance and handling. Not too concerned about absolute top end as I rarely if ever run her anywhere near that...anyone running a 4 blade that used to have a 3 and can comment?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: 3 vs 4 blade, nibral or bronze

Post by Tree »

generally you are going to get a better cruise speed with a 4 blade - I am surprised you have a 3 blade on yours to be honest? What is your transmission ratio and what RPM does the engine sit at cruising?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Don't know the rpm as my tach hasn't been adjusted, but working on that. Tranny is a 1.56:1 iirc, I'll check again on Sunday when I'm at the boat (hopefully tach will be adjusted by then too). I'm usually sitting at 15knts or so
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

I'm at 2.03:1 with the hurth gearbox. Generally running at 3300 rpm on the yanmar. Cruise speed is about 18 knots but then I've had a prop developed where the original was 19 x 19 with a 5 cup. I'm now running 20.5 x 19 ( I think from the top of my head) and a 3 cup. With the original factory, so far as I know prop I was 16.5/17 knots.

Max who's username is serenity has the original trans he had with his peninsular but now running a yanmar is running a 3 blade and has significant differences. I believe he tops out at 29 knots and can cruise at a comfortable 23. He's a good 5 knots on both WOT and cruise than I am.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea I know tag team has a cruise of i think 20 with a peninsular and the same trans as me. But I don't know what he has for a wheel. I've done quite a bit of research on props over the past year or so, and with the new motor I was hoping to gain efficiency and possibly speed (but efficiency is #1 priority). In the end I'm likely to have a prop shop do the heavy lifting for me. But it's nice to have some opinions prior to taking that step
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

What did you decide to do regarding the prop?, I'm doing my cutlass bearing this winter so while the prop is off I'm having it checked over, I think I'm at optimum efficiency already but looking to tweak it for higher cruise speed if possible,
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

habent decided anything yet. Dealing with an insurance claim on her right now. Gonna depend on where the chips land as to what I'm gonna be able to do. If/when I need a new prop I'm gonna get a bronze 4 blade, but I need to get her back in the water to do more testing first
Serenity
In Memorium
Home Port: East Islip Anglers, New York

Post by Serenity »

Max here. Try calling Bossler & Sweezy to get a price on the prop at 6312860458. I have the same or close to it the same surface area with my 3 blade as I would if I had a 4 blade. How are the dogs.
Max
Serenity 98 28TE
East Islip, Long Island, New York

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”