• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE FULL Restoration

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: 28TE FULL Restoration

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Wow that's a whole lot of work! It's looking awesome! Congrats on the good work. Any reason why you didn't put a genset back in? I'm dying to know what the original purchase price was!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Wow, Nick, what an undertaking! The boat looks terrific. Thanks for posting.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Kemah, Tx

Post by Captnickm »

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Jeremy, I would have needed to replace the whole generator since it was seized and the electric end was ruined. The price of a new generator was way more than it would have been worth to me. I will only use the AC and Heat when sleeping and I can accomplish this with a little Honda EU2000.

I also am a big fan of not stuffing a generator/ engine in a small compartment where it is hard to service. Now my batteries are centerline where my generator was and I have lots of extra storage.

You don't really want to know what I paid for her. It is a VERY long story that involves a bad partnership with the past owner and his "partner" that sank the boat. Money got into the wrong hands and it all went downhill fast. In the end the owner and I became good friends and it all worked out, but not without lots of worry and heartache.
1996 Albin 28te - 370 Cummins
1986 Albin 27 SC - 110 Yanmar
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

great job!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I can certainly understand that. The zinc on the genny is HARD to get to! I didnit this year but maybe for paybthe marina to do that one next year. Even if she had a bad start it looks like she is getting the attention she deserves now. Good job on taking on such a big project!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Was this boat originally for sale through Dennison Yacht Sales in Texas? I've not had a good look as I'm only looking via my mobile phone. If it is, I made numerous offers on this boat just over three years ago but the brokers never once returned my calls or emails.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Captnickm »

Tree wrote:Was this boat originally for sale through Dennison Yacht Sales in Texas? I've not had a good look as I'm only looking via my mobile phone. If it is, I made numerous offers on this boat just over three years ago but the brokers never once returned my calls or emails.
Tree,

There is a good chance this was the same boat. It's former name was "CHULA" and I know it was for sale for quite some time, but do not know if it was through Denison.
We don't have very many of these in TX, so probably.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Thats the boat! i was originally interested due to the engine having no hours on it - i think it was listed at $59,000 and i offered $50,000. Not one reply to any emails or phone calls from the brokers - possibly they thought i was a scam contacting them from the UK :lol:
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Captnickm »

Tree,

It's a small world. The past owner tells me that he repowered the boat several years ago. The new motor overheated while running not long after the repower. So they repowered her again and the boat sank shortly after it was repowered. 20 hrs to be exact.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Great job and fine looking project. whwells 'Howard"
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

That is some story - drama and intrigue including a suspicious sinking and an across the "pond" chapter! So glad it had a happy ending. The boat looks great and obviously went to the right Captain this time. Best of luck with her.
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Big job to tackle. Looks like you are doing a fine job. Impressive!
Howard
Captnickm
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Captnickm »

whwells wrote:Big job to tackle. Looks like you are doing a fine job. Impressive!
Howard
Thanks whwells!

It's been a great time. I hate seeing a nice boat go to waste.

We have spent a few nights onboard with the family and put about 40 hours on it so far. Still fixing a few small systems and issues, but so far I have been impressed.

She loves to cruise at 2250 rpm and 17-18 KNTS. Is this normal for my configuration when fully loaded with fuel and 3.5 people?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

OMG! I almost bought that boat! What attracted me was the new engine, but I wound up buying another boat, same age, same color, in Galveston when Chula's owner would not come down $2,000 to meet my price. I wondered why Chula stayed on the market so long after that.
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

By the way, I agree with the decision not to replace the genset. I have spent more money on rebuilding the Entec West in my boat than everything else combined over the last four years.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”