• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine box vs Flush deck

Tom

Engine box vs Flush deck

Post by Tom »

Ok since I don't own the boat yet, I get a choice. I would love to hear some owners pros and cons of the engine box vs the flush deck.

Thanks
TS
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

The engine box on our boat serves as a nice seat when the cushion is snapped on. It's also a nice foot rest when lounging in a chair or a table of sorts when suiting up to go SCUBA diving. But, on the other foot I can see that the extra unobstructed floor area would be nice at times if I had it. It's a toss-up. Denis
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hi Tom,

I don't find the engine box to be that cumbersome. Yes you have to step around it and sometimes I forget its there but all in all I don't mind it.

I agree with everything Denis said above, it comes in very useful at times. Oh I might as well share with you something a good friend of mine said when he boarded the boat and looked at the engine box. In very different words he suggested that the engine box would serve as a unique platform for some adult situations. Anyway, the way he said was much more funny.

Seriously now, some of the more important cons (I can't think of any pros unless you really hate the physical presence of the box) that exist are:

1) loss of storage space or the ability to sleep a third person somewhat comfortably. I'm a rather big guy and I fit nicely into the side berth in the engine box model. In the flush deck I think you lose 1/2 that space.

2) This may be the most important to me. The flush deck model has the engine pushed forward more (it's almost directly under the helm seats if I'm not mistaken). Anyway, this move changed the whole feel of the boat. The center of gravity changed and the handling of the boat in rough water is not the same. The boat is reported to ride more bow down and it's said that it can't get up and on top of swells/waves as easily as the engine box which rides more bow up (a result of more weight in the back of the boat). I know a few people who ran both boats hard in many different conditions and prefered the engine box model over the flush deck.

Just something to consider of course. You should try to run them both on the same day, same conditions, immediately after one another.

Cheers!

Brian
AlMar
Gold Member
Gold Member

engine box

Post by AlMar »

Having not worked on either, the most important question to me is; Is it easier to get to/work on, the engine in one or the other?
AlMar
Tom

Engine box vs Flush deck

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the really good information Brian. I am beginning to think that the box would be a positive not a negative. I hadn't even thought about that adult situation platform idea that you mentioned, but it is certainly something to think about as well.

Thanks for your help.

TS
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

That's a good point AlMar and I haven't actually considered it. The flush deck may be slightly more service-able at the side berth b/c they provide an access panel there. However the engine box doesn't seem to be too hindersome either.

Cheers!

Brian
Albinflorida
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Bradenton, FL

Flush deck Vs engine box

Post by Albinflorida »

The flush deck adds 30 gallon fuel, 162 vs 132, has a larger helm console so that the overhead box is not needed, the dripless log is much more accessible and the extended pilothouse roof is an option that may be on that boat. It has more in deck storage, but the helm seat is a pain to remove for engine access
The engine box,(my favorite) is easier to work on, quieter because the engine is located outside the pilothouse, the 1/4 berth is 8" wider and certainly easier to findbecause they have been building them since 1993.
I have driven both quite a bit and not noticed much difference in ride, your call.
Albin is fazing out the engine box for 2007. It will only be available for special orders. The standard 28 flushdeck is now the Mark III Newport with the mate seat removed and a L-shaped settee in it's place(seating for 4 in the pilothouse) , similar to the 31. An aft hard enclosure is still available. A aft transom folding jump seat is now available for all cockpit models.
Doug J
Edwards Yacht Sales
941-504-0790
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We like the engine box for all reasons stated above. <smile> It provides seating for guests without carrying around a bunch of deck chairs.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Tom

Engine box

Post by Tom »

Albinflorida: You indicated that the extended roof is available with the flush deck. Isn't it also available with the box? I think that is an important option. I had thought I had seen pictures of the extended roof on engine box models?

Thanks

TS
digitrade

Re: Engine box vs Flush deck

Post by digitrade »

Without question the 28TE is sensitive to loading fore and aft. It does not have a tremendous power to weight ratio like some people are accustomed to with their twin outboard boat.

Eventually after many hours in the boat, you know when the boat is loaded correctly by a hundred different signals.

But until you have that time in the 28TE you can check CG with one absolute test. You will know when you have the center of gravity too far forward when adding trim tabs slows the boat down. Ideally, the boat should run best with no trim tabs, but by loading the boat so that a small amount of trm tabs inmproves cruise speed you will be certain you are close enough.

I have the engine box model. If I load heavy I need to be careful to get some weight forward. My normal fore aft CG is about directly in line with the transmission.

Moving the engine forward on the flush deck makes the boat heavy n the bow. That would be very bad for my application but maybe some others prefer it.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Flush deck Vs engine box

Post by jcollins »

Albinflorida wrote:The flush deck adds 30 gallon fuel, 162 vs 132, has a larger helm console so that the overhead box is not needed, the dripless log is much more accessible and the extended pilothouse roof is an option that may be on that boat. It has more in deck storage, but the helm seat is a pain to remove for engine access
The engine box,(my favorite) is easier to work on, quieter because the engine is located outside the pilothouse, the 1/4 berth is 8" wider and certainly easier to findbecause they have been building them since 1993.
I have driven both quite a bit and not noticed much difference in ride, your call.
Albin is fazing out the engine box for 2007. It will only be available for special orders. The standard 28 flushdeck is now the Mark III Newport with the mate seat removed and a L-shaped settee in it's place(seating for 4 in the pilothouse) , similar to the 31. An aft hard enclosure is still available. A aft transom folding jump seat is now available for all cockpit models.
Doug,
Is that jump seat easily removed? My last boat had a jump seat that I could take out when fishing. Nice feature. Do you sell them and what's the rough price?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”