• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

First Run : Boothbay Harbor, ME to Boston, MA

Cayo Hueso

First Run : Boothbay Harbor, ME to Boston, MA

Post by Cayo Hueso »

Hi Guys:

Finally, after an exhaustive search, I bought the boat, a, 1998, TE28. The boat appears to be in bristol condition, repowered in 2002. She sailed through a thorough survey. I have to admit, I haven't had much time at all onboard. I don't thoroughly understand her systems, and I'm unsure of what to expect on my first run: about 120 nm. What spare parts would you suggest I carry onboard?

If anyone has any advice, please feel free to speak up. Also, I need to know where I can get an extended Bimini for the cockpit. I live in the Boston area. How much do these things cost?

Thanks,

Jerry
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jerry,
Welcome to the board and to Albin boats!
What engine is in your boat? There are technical specs at the top of this forum. Very handy.
I'm sure you will hear from others around here with suggestions about spare parts to carry for a long run.

Fuel filters comes to mind.
Last edited by jcollins on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I always carry my Boat US and/or Sea Tow unlimited towing card when I travel.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
SpaceCoaster
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spares

Post by SpaceCoaster »

To start with, some spares you might consider...

Fuel Filters (primary and secondary)
Impeller
Fuses
Something to repair a hose if you spring a leak
Clamps
Something to plug a whole (wooden plugs, toilet bowl wax ring, etc.)

I also carry a gallon of Oil and a gallon of coolant in case I have to top off.

Don't forget to bring tools for both mechanical and electrical repairs. That's a whole other list to consider.

If you have confidence in your surveyors and their report was positive you'll probably be fine on a 120nm trip. But, you never know. I'd run her no more than 85% of max rpm until you gain more confidence in the systems.

Oh, and Chief's advice of the BOAT US unlimited membership is a good one. It's nice insurance to have.
Baby Bella
1994 Albin 28TE
(D254 Mercruiser/BMW)
Merritt Island, FL
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

Since we have been talking about fuel filters, shouldn't you carry some diesel fuel to prime the filter? Can you change a filter dry?
John
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Spend sometime in BoothBay / great boating town. Fuel filters / small gallon can of diesel to prime the engine filter, typical tools, and don't forget the fix all of all tools/spare parts/ duct tape and baling wire :) .
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
muscrat
First Mate
First Mate

Post by muscrat »

john

The last time I changed my racor, I experimented- I closed the tank valve, drained the filter housing and replaced the filter. I then left the top of the filter housing loose and had someone crack the tank valve and was able to fill the filter housing from the tank. Once the housing was almost full, I secured the top. This was a two person job and I don't know how it would work in the open water though..

Steve
Cayo Hueso

Thanks Guys

Post by Cayo Hueso »

I tried to reply to all who offered advice. I don't know if I did this correctly. It was great to get some advice and reassurrance from veterans. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jerry
jcollins
In Memorium

Post by jcollins »

I may have missed it but I'm surprised at some of the veterans around here. You did forget to mention some essentials.
Cooler
ICE
Blender
Beer
Now where is that list of summer drinks from AOG?
John
craw_daddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Key Largo, FL

shakedown gear..

Post by craw_daddy »

other items to bring: a VHF radio (perform a radio check before leaving), cell phone + extra battery, couple of flashlights (one really good one), water, & nav charts for your trip, & check your anchor rode & lights prior to getting underway.

Nice long trip -take it easy & enjoy.

--Dave
2006 28te 'Grace Full'
Key Largo, FL
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

bail out points

Post by Legacy »

Sorry if you are an experienced boater and this is common sense to you, but on a first long trip, make sure your have several "bail out points" if the weather turns awful or mechanical problems arise. Last year when I brought my Albin up to Boston from Stamford, CT, I had to bail out in Point Judith, RI because the weather turned so nasty. We had the VHF channels the various marinas monitored as well as phone numbers. Also file a float plan. Good luck and when you are in Boston, give us a shout.

Rick
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”